TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2003, 09:00 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Old Radio Shows

[quote author=DancinCampers link=board=7;threadid=1502;start=msg10658#msg10658 date=1068130515]I highly recommend you review your owners manual before inserting any CD-R or CD-RW. I made a cd for one of our dancers & she put it in her car cd player, never to come out again. Won't play or eject.

When reading her manual it said not to use these in the player.[/quote]Never heard of this, Dan, but your point is well taken. When in doubt, CHECK FIRST!

One thing I didn't remember until your post reminded me. We got a notice from Ford regarding our Explorer's CD player. It said that homemade CD's are OK, but DO NOT PUT THOSE HOME-PRINTED PAPER LABELS ON THEM. Apparently the thickness of the label can jam the mechanism, especially if the edge of the label lifts a little (as they all do). Instead, it said, label the CDs using a marker pen like a Sanford Sharpie.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 PM   #12
SweetSue

I hate to be dumb, but how do I download these old radio shows to save to CD? I have a PC, using Microsoft Internet Explorer, a CD burner, a DVD burner. Could you please give complete instructions for those of us who need help?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

[quote author=SweetSue link=board=7;threadid=1502;start=msg10672#msg10672 date=1068162988]How do I download these old radio shows to save to CD? I have a PC, using Microsoft Internet Explorer, a CD burner, a DVD burner. Could you please give complete instructions for those of us who need help?[/quote]SweetSue -

You have a DVD burner??? I'm so jealous!! We won't be using it here - we'll be using the CD burner - but I still covet my neighbor's DVD burner!

OK, so you go [dead link], and you see main headings like Comedies, Dramas, Mysteries, Variety, and so forth. Let's say you like comedies, and you would like to hear one of Bob Hope's shows, so under Comedies, you click "Bob Hope".

Ignoring the annoying flashing pop-up ad, you see that there are nine Bob Hope shows available. "Bob Hope with Al Jolson" sounds interesting to you. If you left-click this link, it will download and begin to play, but that's not what you want right now. So you right-click instead. A menu pops up.

If you are using Netscape, one of the menu options is "Save link target as ...". If you are using Internet Explorer, the entry is "Save Target As ...". In each case, the "target" is the file you want to save. So click this option. It will ask you where to save it. It will suggest a place, probably something like My Documents or My Music. These are fine, or I usually choose the desktop. Doesn't matter, but choose a place and remember your choice.

Repeat this whole thing for a bunch of files that you would like to save. Before we continue this instruction, get at least ten of them. Maybe you like some Bob Hope comedies, some Gunsmoke westerns, some Boris Karloff mysteries ... Your taste is your own, but get a bunch of stuff.

Got 'em? When you have done it, we need to know three things before we go on.
1. Do you have some blank CD-R discs? If not, go get some. WalMart, OfficeMax, CompUSA, most anywhere. In a 50-pack, they should be about a dime apiece. You don't need the more expensive CD-RW discs.
2. When you play the CDs, does your player handle MP3, or is it a standard audio CD player? You will make a disc to match whatever type of player you have. If you don't know, that's OK. It is safe to assume standard audio CD.
3. Your computer has some software that enables you to "burn" CDs. Sounds exciting doesn't it? Really, it's not - no smoke is involved. But before going on, I do need to know what the CD-making software is. It is probably something named Adaptec Easy CD Creator or Adaptec DirectCD. I need to know what you have. Click START - PROGRAMS, look around, and let me know what you find. We'll go from there.

Bill
Old 11-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #14
SweetSue

I have Windows Media Player, the latest version.

I really like my DVD burner. You need to get one. I have a TDK, and it's really easy to use. I've made backup copies of treasured DVD's and made DVD's from VHS treasured pieces. Interesting though, the home made DVD's work just great in my new Sony DVD player, but they won't work in my son's DVD player that's a couple of years old. So, if you get a burner, you need a DVD player that's not over a year old.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:52 PM   #15
Windbreaker

You were talking about easy cd creater, if you don't have #5 you really need to get it. It does just about everything and is so easy to use even I can make cd, dvd, mp3. Don't even know what mp3 is but I can make them.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:46 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

[quote author=SweetSue link=board=7;threadid=1502;start=msg10674#msg10674 date=1068168326]I have Windows Media Player, the latest version.[/quote]Good morning.

I didn't realize that WMP would make CDs. Sure enough, it does, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm used to the Adaptec software, and could walk you through that procedure pretty quickly. However, I just spent an hour trying to do it on WMP, taking copious notes at every step. Although I was successful in the end, my procedure is extremely clunky. There has got to be a better way, but I don't know what it is, and it would be silly for me to try to walk you through what I did. Since I plan to keep using Easy CD Creator, I guess I'm just not masochistic enough to wade through Microsoft's teenage-boy-playing-rap-on-his-Walkman approach to CD creation.

Sorry. You need a WMP expert. Or a teenage boy with a Walkman.

Anyone else want to try?

Bill
Old 11-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #17
SweetSue

Thanks! I think I'll be able to figure it out now.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #18
arknoah

Well, it's good to be back to this board. And you know why I haven't been here? I've used whatever time I had on the net to download scads of these radio shows and burn them onto CDs for our upcoming trip. Apparently, my CD burner, powered by Nero software automatically converts the MP3s to regular audio which can be played in regular stereos. I'm chomping at the bit to listen to the Green Hornet, Charlie Chan and Ellery Queen while my family listens to their own CDs. This will be a lifesaver for our 11 hours trip!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:54 PM   #19
Happytrails

Small side note for the people with cassette players in their TV's, or TM's trying to use one of those cassette based walkman CD players in them. Ford, and a few others have made their cassette players to recognize when one of these is being used, and due to warrenty issues, I.E......people having their cassette players going bad.....and spit them back out making them unusuable. I believe Sony puts one out that can get by this system and will work with the newer Ford's etc...........Thought it might be worth mentioning anyway......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #20
jbeletti
Jim

Default Stereo ideas for TM

Hi all,

Thought I'd add my 2 cents - although slightly off-topic. For my TM, my plan is to purchase an AM/FM/CD head unit that has a front-panel 1/8" mini-stereo jack. Based on great feedback from this forum, I plan to wire the TM's powered radio antenna lead to the power antenna lead on the head unit. I'll add a side (or front) panel 12 VDC power cut-off switch so I can cut all power to the head-unit. I'll use the front-panel stereo input jack to accept an audio feed from a Walkman style cassette, portable MP3 player, laptop PC (for stored MP3s), TV output etc. There are several models from Aiwa and other brands that sport this front-panel jack for about $200. Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re...ver_guide.html) has a great selection and is a good resource for idea, no matter where you end up buying from.

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote