TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Laura, I've owned 4R in both "V6" and "V8": V6 is really good.

My 4Runners were/are "Gen-3", models, and not the ones which you would purchase today. Our 2005 V8 "Sport" was totaled by a man who possibly suffered a fatal medical event, slumped onto the accelerator - and hit our stopped vehicle (red traffic light) at extremely high speed.

When we switched to V6 "Sport" (now called "Trail"), we were VERY surprised to find that the V6 had just as much power for climbing 10 and even 20% hills, towing the TM. The difference is, we need to down-shift by one gear, and a lot more noise comes from the engine at the higher RPM.

I strongly recommend that you get the V6 4runner. In comparison to V8, it costs less to buy, saves a lot of money on gas, and performs nearly as well. It seems that you simply get more engine noise during climbs. V6 drivetrain lifespan seems good, although we are nowhere near wearing it out. (We do change Tranny fluid at the "severe duty" schedule.) You might note that the ground clearance of the SR5 is significantly less (9.0") than that of the "Trail" and "Limited" models (9.8"); the Highlander ground clearance is even an inch less than that (just 8.0"). Highlander wheelbase is the same, but the Track is almost an inch more skinny.

I will defer to others regarding the frame versus unibody Highlander choice. As others have already pointed out, a WDH is absolutely mandatory with either of these Tow Vehicles. They're built with a lot of overhang at the rear. Without using a WDH, the weight on the front tires would be inadequate for good steering and braking control.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Steppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura FM View Post
Right now we have an 8 cyl 4Runner, which tows over 7K lbs.

We want to replace it with a 6 cyl vehicle. We were thinking of maybe a 6cyl 4 Runner (5K lbs), but now I find out that the 6 cyl Highlander also has a tow capacity of 5K lbs.

We have the lightest of TMs - a 2417 Sport, and usually it is just my husband and me. I have no doubt that a vehicle that can tow 5K lbs has sufficent capacity, but how does it feel to drive it?

Also - when TM lists the approximate tongue weight what does that include? battery? full or empty propane tank? I have one tank and one battery. Right now we do not need a WDH, and it would be great if that would continue, but we realize that might have to change.

Thanks!
We just replaced our 2006 Highlander as TV for our 2004 2027SL. It was 215 HP and the max towing capacity was 3500 lbs. Ours had the towing package. The TM towed well behind it and we used a WDH. We towed it from MD to NH and it did ok but it was definitely under powered especially on steep hills.

We replaced it with a 2011 Honda Ridgeline which we just got and haven't towed with it yet.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote