TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Joseph

Post Tire update

Seems that the tire issues we all went thru a few years ago have calmed down. However I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I wanted to post an update regarding the tires that are currently on my TM. See signature. They have been on since 6/27/09 with no issues. Four years so far. They were suggested by my local tire dealer. He has become a good friend as everything he has ever done for any of my vehicles has not had to go back. The tires have as of now almost 14,000 miles on them. Almost all of that placed on them in July, read hot, trips out west. Otherwise it is short jaunts to Georgia State Parks a few times a year. No cracks that I can see. They stay off the ground. The rig is parked in the back yard on 2x8's. TM is covered and so are the tires. I run them between 60 and 65 psi. Their max being 65 psi. They were balanced WITH the TPMS sensors on them. I was a bit worried this trip just because of age, but the only tire issue I had was a flat on the truck after I got to Jacob Lake and camp set up. Towing speed was / is whatever road conditions and speed limit allow. 70 / 75 mph being about the max except for passing pain in the neck drivers a few times. The one thing about these tires that is noticeable compared to the Marathons that used to be on the TM is the tread depth. Much more rubber on the treads. If anything else "pops" up with them I will advise. Oh, one more thing. These tires were used on European delivery trucks for some time when I puchased them in 2009.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
moaboy

So are you saying you actually go faster than 75 to get around some other folks on the highway?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I think there were two reports of people losing their pluming via blowout this week. I have plumbing protection, and monitors on the tires. I have 2 years on mine and actually was thinking about this on my last trip as it seems like 3 to 5 years should be the limit if you really want to be safe. I think one poster only had 3.

I always jack the trailer up to take the weight off them when stored any period of time. The sensors should let me know if I am losing air and hopefully I would be in a place I could get pulled over before the tire came apart. With the plumbing protection I think there is a fair chance there would be little damage if a tire came apart on that side.

It took a lot of reading and research to convince me that a tire with good tread should be replaced. Apparently there is something in the rubber that only keeps it from deteriorating if the tire is spinning. ( Link to some info: http://blog.rv.net/2009/08/tire-age-...-tire-failure/ http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos ) I sure would like to get four or five years out of them but I am not sure if it is worth the risk.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Probably worth re-posting this link again: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14067

Joseph, you're running the equivalent of a light truck (LT) tire on your 2720. There are pluses and minuses to those over a special trailer (ST) tire. I would encourage you to read the "best practices" in the above link. The most generous load rating that I can find for the the TR645 is 2,094 lbs. per wheel. The more typical range for a load rating of 104 is just under 2,000 lbs. If we just call it 2,000, that probably puts them at or over their limit if you load your 2720 with the normal stuff that we all take when we're camping.

Because LT tires do not have as strong sidewalls as ST tires, overloading them increases the chances of a sidewall failure. Having been there, I can tell you that a sidewall failure is both sudden and dramatic. On a single axle trailer at high speeds, it could be catastrophic.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Joseph

Default and so it goes....

Bill – Forgive me. If you want to delete this please do so. There was a Texas Camper on the forum some years ago that helped you moderate. ( To the current Texas Camper I ask indulgence. ) I do miss that rascal and his comments. It is in his Spirit that I will reply to the above listed posts…

Can you “say stir the pot”?

So are you saying you actually go faster than 75 to get around some other folks on the highway? -

LOL! Ah, yea. There were a couple of times when I as I was completing the pass and slowing down the speed was around 80. This was due to a couple of folks who must have been enamored with the rig and were slow then fast then slow etc… Not to worry. I do not tow with a toy vehicle. My rig is solid. I do all the work. And if I cannot I verify work performed by others.

Apparently there is something in the rubber that only keeps it from deteriorating if the tire is spinning. -

News to me. Always thought it was UV’s from the Sun and some kind of “black” material used in the manufacture of the tire that dies with age and UV damage. The way you say it there would have to be an active component in the tire that responds to motion. Maybe WMTire would know.

The most generous load rating that I can find for the TR645 is 2,094 lbs. per wheel. The more typical range for a load rating of 104 is just under 2,000 lbs. If we just call it 2,000, that probably puts them at or over their limit if you load your 2720 with the normal stuff that we all take when we're camping.

You are correct with the 2094 rating. I tow the TM empty. No water. Just a few clothes and dry condiments. Anything heavy goes in the TRUCK. I do not tow with a toy. If you are going to run with the big dogs on their roads you had better have something that can do the job. Else, stay on the porch. At the time the 14 inch Marathons that came with it had a load rating of 1890 +/- so it was an improvement 4 years ago.

Gentlemen, and I use the term loosely..

I am not one who has to have the world spoon fed to me in small doses. Nor do I rely on others to tell me what is correct regarding much of anything. I do the research, tests, and make my own decisions. If you are familiar with Theodore Roosevelt you will understand when I ask you to step into the arena of the world with me and get out of the stands...

Two points of record then I am out of here, being as my only intent with this post was to update the group on tires which so far have worked out just fine. Not start another pabulum discussion on tires.

1. As a Field Service Engineer I work on equipment that has direct influence on Patient Care in Hospital and Clinical Environments. I work alone. I am responsible. No one else. If I make a mistake it is mine. I do not point the finger and pass the buck. Same with my rig.

2. Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back….
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Joseph

Red face just in case...

I may have been a little to harsh in my replies. Please forgive me if anyone finds my words too rough. You can always send me a nasty PM....

(I won't tell anyone nor will I respond...)
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Can you “say stir the pot”?

So are you saying you actually go faster than 75 to get around some other folks on the highway? -

LOL! Ah, yea.

Two points of record then I am out of here, being as my only intent with this post was to update the group on tires which so far have worked out just fine. Not start another pabulum discussion on tires.

If I make a mistake it is mine. I do not point the finger and pass the buck. Same with my rig.

2. Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back….
Well said Brother!
"Semper Fi"

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I hope you did not take my comments as criticism. It was not my intent. I was incredibly skeptical about tires deteriorating with time and still find it a bit hard to believe. In all likelihood I will run my tires 4 years maybe more. I have always felt that what others do is their business.

However, this is a quote from one of the articles I provided a link to that is giving me cause for consideration.

"When tires are manufactured compounds are added to help protect the rubber from weather cracking and ozone damage. The problem is the tire needs to be rolling down the road, heating up and flexing for these compounds to work their way to the surface of the tire and protect the rubber from damage. So, when tires sit still, like in storage they start to dry out causing them to age faster.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
davlin
TrailManor Master

2. Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back….[/QUOTE]

Joseph, I also am sorry I struck a nerve. That wasn't my intent. Trailer tires are simply not designed to handle the same speeds that the tow vehicle tires can. I learned this after doing about year's worth of research. It's the science of the thing.

Having said that, I agree that you are perfectly capable of coming to your own conclusions about what you want to do. My intent was only to inform.

I liked your quote (above).

Here's an old airborne one: "Everybody dies, some just get there quicker."

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Apparently there is something in the rubber that only keeps it from deteriorating if the tire is spinning. -

News to me. Always thought it was UV’s from the Sun and some kind of “black” material used in the manufacture of the tire that dies with age and UV damage. The way you say it there would have to be an active component in the tire that responds to motion. Maybe WMTire would know.
If ya are referring to "blooming", we discussed this in 2011 here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...24&postcount=9