TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
Happytrails

Default Engines.......

Welp, my TV is down....blew the engine today.......Replacing it with a Jasper Engine, I hear they're pretty good, and tested and run before they leave the factory......3 year, 50.000 mile warrenty......any comments on it before it arrives this tuesday? (Nothing like an unexpected $3,000 bill huh?) At least it'll be like a whole new TV afterwards.............Any comments or suggestions are welcome........TV is a 1991 GMC Jimmy (S-10 blazer with a 4.3L, no engine oil cooler). In discussing this with the guy who will be putting it in, I thought about adding it as I have the facilities to do that, he said to stick with what I have, and told me something interesting I didn't know.......he said engine oil coolers rob the engine of oil, but at the same time, cool it......kinda a trade off. Then he said, "I'd just stick with what you already have". At first, I kinda wondered, but reason set in, and got to thinking about it. At first, I wondered what the heck he was talking about, then an apple dropped outta a tree and hit me on the head, when you check your oil, gravity motivates it downwards and as you don't check your oil with the engine running, all of it has drained to it's lowest places, so in doing a modification like that, I wonder if I'd have to check if I'd have to change my dipstick? Get one from a TV that has one with an EOC (Engine Oil Cooler)? I would simply have to replace the junction where it goes into my oil filter with one that runs through the radiator, so it really wouldn't be too big of a modification, and am replacing the radiator anyway.........anyone with any knowledge in this arena? Never hurts to ask.........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]

Old 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Engines.......

Most engine oil coolers are air cooled and mount in front of the radiator. You can get an air cooled unit with a fan to mount under the TV if there is no room in front of the radiator. The aftermarket coolers usually are connected to the engine by a pancake adapter installed between the engine and oil filter. The biggest problem with this is the routing of the hoses. Be sure they do not contact the exhaust manafold and that they clear the maintenance areas. The one on my Trooper is routed over the spark plugs and makes changing them a real headache. Most oil coolers do not drain the oil back into the oil pan when the engine is turned off. About 1/2 to 1 quart of used oil is retained in the cooler through each oil change. This does not hurt the engine. I would add an oil cooler if I had the chance that you are presented with. Be sure to run the engine after the oil is in, shut it down, check the level and top it off to make up for the oil retained in the cooler. The oil cooler will only "rob the oil" the first time after installation.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Happytrails

Welp, I tell ya it really helps being in the automotive business. My Jasper engine turns out to carry a 75,000 mile/3 year warrenty, and it arrived yesterday. They already have my old engine out, and with luck, it will probably be done by tomorrow evening already! I tell ya what, it really looks good, very clean, doesn't look remanufactured at all. Jasper runs all their engines before they leave the factory to test them, and a LOT of the internal parts are brand new. The people putting it in I can really trust, and are going to put all new belts, hoses, sparkplugs, distributer, etc....in it as well. (Of course a new radiator, and heater core which I already provided). The people putting it in are a little full service, service station, but are good honest people, and always do me right. As they are loyal customers of ours, and I try to buy all my gas from them, they usually do me pretty good. (I buy about 10 bucks a day minimum, more when we're busy). For the other two members of this board from Roanoke, Va. it's Roanoke Auto Service Center/ 13th st BP. They are a good bunch of guys, and really honest. If you don't have a regular mechanic you can trust, they're a good place to take your car. They're honest, and do good work. Anyway, thought I'd put in a good word for em........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 10-13-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Happytrails

Welp, my blazer's ready, all that's left is to make up the bill, I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning. While it was there I had them replace out the two front ball joints, service the transmission, and replace out the bad heater core that was leaking antifreeze in my floorboard. They had the new engine in it friday evening, and running like a champ! (Finished the other stuff today). Should be like a brand new truck.........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...............[/glow]