TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
rlkubi

Default Decisions

We are trying to decide between a Trailmanor and a travel trailer. We store our camper on a resort we have a membership to and don't go anywhere else at this time. When I retire we will want to travel but that 10 years away. The Trailmanor will be great then but considering getting a travel trailer now because of the space, etc. The advantages of the Trailmanor would not be needed now as much.

Comments?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The main advantages of a TM come from the fact that it gets smaller, reducing wind drag and storage requirements. As you mentioned, you won't be able to take advantage of either of those features. And there are tradeoffs for those features, including air gaps and increased capital cost, that you wouldn't have with a conventional trailer.

And any trailer you buy now, including a TM, will depreciate significantly (maybe 75%?) in 10 years. It will also deteriorate physically, and at that time, regardless of whether you bought new or used now, would very likely need repairs.

Thus, it doesn't make any sense to me to buy a TM and park it for 10 years. I think there are cheaper and more practical options.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I would tend to agree. "Easy to tow, easy to stow" are good arguments for buying a Trailmanor that just don't apply to you.

I would get something cheaper in a conventional travel trailer. Buy it used. It's not too hard to find one that has spent most of its life sitting in storage going down in value. Trailers depreciate like crazy, they make cars look like a good investment.

Once you retire you can look at getting a Trailmanor. It'll make a lot more sense then.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
grakin

I'd also suggest considering conventional trailers. The TM does many things well (they use good quality appliances, in general, for instance), but there are tons of regular, almost-never-used travel trailers on the used market that would probably be a lot less work setting up, give you more storage, have a bigger fridge, and cost much less.

That said, if you think you might tow it, the TM sure tows nicely.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
rlkubi

Thank you all! I think that is what we will start looking at. I love the TM but I don't think we need that at this point in time. After I retire we will look for one
Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
robertkennel

One more vote for a conventional trailer. If storage was not a problem, I definitely wouldn't own a TrailManor. Robert