TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybeebob View Post
My thought being that with my frame being rigid, (do not know if other TM'S have springs) no flex to speak of and if a higher load range would take up some of the shock or instant overloading when either hitting something in the road or dropping into a hole. Would appreciate your thoughts on this before I commit.

Bob
Maybe not so good. Tires that have a higher load capacity usually get that higher capacity because they are inflated to a higher pressure. And a higher pressure makes a harder stiffer tire. (As an example, check out the rock-hard tires on an 18-wheeler, inflated to 120 psi!) And a harder tire will tend to pass the road shocks right on through to your trailer.

As people on this board have changed from 14-inch Marathons (1870 pounds at 50 psi) to 15-inch Marathons (2540 pounds at 65 psi), this has occasionally become a problem, manifesting itself as appliances shaken out of their mountings, stove grate on the floor, etc. My personal answer has been to run my 15-inch Marathons at 60 psi (about 2200 pounds capacity).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

Just completed upgrade from 14" Kumos to 15" Maxxis LR D....Kumos were 5 years old and no problems but after reading several comments and discussing with others (Thanks Bill and Wm Tire) decided on the change. Had no problem finding wheels but locating Maxxis 15" LR D were very difficult to locate.
Installation required no modification ( 2" lift previously installed) and spacing tolerances look fine...at least for now!
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsannerud View Post
Just completed upgrade from 14" Kumos to 15" Maxxis LR D....Kumos were 5 years old and no problems but after reading several comments and discussing with others (Thanks Bill and Wm Tire) decided on the change. Had no problem finding wheels but locating Maxxis 15" LR D were very difficult to locate.
Installation required no modification ( 2" lift previously installed) and spacing tolerances look fine...at least for now!
What is the clearance between the tire sidewall and the wheel skirt? Did you have to put washers between the trailer and the skirt? If not, do you think it will rub? I buy my Maxxis directly from Maxxis.com. Very competeively priced and shipped for less than most others.

Thanks.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
happybeebob

Bill:
Thanks, will be getting the same tires but new when I can get the TM out of the garage. The TM has already went from 13" to 14" rims on the lift mod so did not want to get involved with 15" or even if they would fit. Seeing that all my use will probably be within the state was just concerned about it taking the extra bounce shock.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

It looks like I have approx 3/4 inch between the tire side wall and the skirt without any washers. My skirts have only a slight "warp" so I didn't need to use washers. The rest of the spacing fore, aft and top were fine. The rim offset was 0.

When I checked suppliers including internet sites they did not have LR D available....only E and I know 7" wide rims would not fit which LR E require. I did find a pair locally and negotiated a lower price due to the DOT code being earlier than I would like.

Harry
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsannerud View Post
....only E and I know 7" wide rims would not fit which LR E require.
Larry and I just had a similar conversation a few weeks back, where he had ran into some erroneous information on a certain website. Recommended rim widths are indicative of the tire size itself, and not the Load Range/ply rating.

Ex. A 225/75R15 size tire has a 225 millimeter wide section width (bulge to bulge) no matter if it is a Load Range C, D, or E tire...................and thus needs to go on the same width wheel. You could possibly get a little variance between ply ratings depending on exactly where the bulge is, but it will be miniscule at best.

Just so everyone will know, most 225/75R15 trailer tires are measured on a 6 inch wide wheel to get their specs you see on the datasheets.

Here is a link to a Carlisle trailer tire spec sheet to show this:

http://www.carlisletire.com/products...ail/index.html
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #27
Pitbull

From what I understand every tire has a recommended rim width regardless of its load rating. What needs to be concidered is how many pounds of air can be used with different load ratings. You need to make sure the rim is rated for the tires max air pressure that can be used. From what I was told only the alloy trailer wheels are rated high enough for LT tires (80psi).

Koz
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
From what I understand every tire has a recommended rim width regardless of its load rating. What needs to be concidered is how many pounds of air can be used with different load ratings. You need to make sure the rim is rated for the tires max air pressure that can be used. From what I was told only the alloy trailer wheels are rated high enough for LT tires (80psi).

Koz
Koz, just a little clarification on the very last part, mainly in the terminology. I believe you meant to state that you needed a wheel rated to carry the max air pressure of a Load Range E tire (which carries 80 psi).

Technically a LT (light truck) tire, is a tire designed to be run on heavier pickup trucks/SUV's. Many LT tires run a lot less than 80 psi.

A ST (special trailer) tire, uses the same Load Range/Ply ratings as LT tires, and thus the same psi capabilities. A lot of ST tires also will carry less than 80 psi.