TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
chicagoslick

Default Minivan Towing a 2720...

I know it has been asked before, but all of the post I have checked seam a bit older and am wondering if people have recent news on towing a TM 2720 or larger with a minivan.

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar Limited with the towing package, class 3 WDH, onboard brake controller and lighting. The vehicle is also equiped with ABS and Traction Control. My van has 120k miles on it, but the transmission was completley rebuilt less than 5k miles ago. Engine is the 3.8L engine which is rated at 200hp and 240 torque. The motor runs great and does not use a drop of oil. I know the full history of the vehicle having been the only owner and the vehicle has been meticulousy maintained.

I live in the midwest and plan to take trips mainly out east (Georgia and South Carolina) with an occasional trip out west.

Anyone who has experience please respond. I appreciate all repsonses...

thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

according to the specs listed from Ford, a standard 2000 Windstar is rated for 2000lbs and with a towing package and WDH, its 3500lbs. Sentiment here is that 3500lbs towing capacity is marginal.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

The minivan brand is critical, it seems. Toyotas do fine with a 2720, keeping it light. Honda seems to do fine as well. A 2000 Ford Windstar? I have no idea, I'd be a little nervous, personally--too many stories of Ford experiences with different TVs that seemed to indicate the TC was overstated by Ford, rather than conservative like the Japanese manufacturers seem to do.

Keep things as light as possible. Weigh the fully loaded rig. Make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Drive slowly and carefully.

If you're going to do any mountain hauling at all (which it sounds like you might), I'd make sure you felt safe with your setup on the low/flats first.

I am quite comfortable and satisfied with my setup -- Toyota Sienna and 2720SL. I've also weighed my setup, with the kids, wife, and dog inside, and I know that numerically I'm right at the limit. I'm also staying in the midwest, low altitude, flat, short distance driving. I know I'm well within the capabilities of my TV because of many factors (low profile, no sway TM, favorable terrain, short distance driving, etc.) whereas the TC, etc, must take into account more factors, like a TT, like hilly or higher terrain, etc.

But, I have a Toyota, not a Ford, and I am not going to be going where you are. These are two big factors that need to be considered, and I don't have the experience with your vehicle to be able to give you any more advise that what I said above.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
I know it has been asked before, but all of the post I have checked seam a bit older and am wondering if people have recent news on towing a TM 2720 or larger with a minivan.

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar Limited with the towing package, class 3 WDH, onboard brake controller and lighting. The vehicle is also equiped with ABS and Traction Control. My van has 120k miles on it, but the transmission was completley rebuilt less than 5k miles ago. Engine is the 3.8L engine which is rated at 200hp and 240 torque. The motor runs great and does not use a drop of oil. I know the full history of the vehicle having been the only owner and the vehicle has been meticulousy maintained.

I live in the midwest and plan to take trips mainly out east (Georgia and South Carolina) with an occasional trip out west.

Anyone who has experience please respond. I appreciate all repsonses...

thanks
Vehicles seem to have been rated less carefully in 2000 than they are today. It's as if the manufacturers were careless and the owners paid less attention.

Start by reading the towing section in the owner's manual, particularly the part about Gross Combined Weight Rating versus the empty weight of the vehicle.

You need a hitch receiver as good as this one, and a weight distributing hitch: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=20009942

The hp and torque will take you anywhere I've been on the Interstate highway system. I don't know anything about experience from Windstar owners here in the forum, but it's worth searching through the posts to check it out.

Check your brake controller. I wouldn't tow anything challenging with an old progressive controller (a Prodigy P3 could be a very important improvement).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ditto what the others have said, also one of the ford minvans, a front wheel drive model, had a recall because the rear axle was falling out from under it. That was the Aerostar I think.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
chicagoslick

There have been a few recalls about under carriage work needing to be completed. My van has always been garaged and upon inspection, passed everything. I may look at a new TV, but enjoy the minvan and the confort it brings traveling. I really would like to try this vehicle before I go out and buy something else. Thanks for the replies...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default An alternate viewpoint

Chicagoslick,

Here is a quote from a post I put up a year ago or so. The point is that I just don't want to have to worry about what I take with me in the TV.

Quote:
I recently went through the new TV experience. In my case the main requirement from the DW was room for grandkids. Otherwise my good ol'e 96 F150 5.8 standard cab was perfectly adequate.

Now, I was once offered the chance to re-enlist in the USAF with a promise of Loadmaster School and flight status if I did. (I did not!) The loadmaster's job on a transport plane is to calculate loading to see if: a. it will get off the ground; b. that it is balanced if and when it does. They had to use a specially designed slide rule device to do this, back in the day.

When I read the discussions about loads and weights and limits with Pilots and Highlanders and such, I just do not want to go there. Sounds too much like living right at the limit. Plus I didn't go to Loadmaster School.

When I read discussions about Sienna's and that sort of vehicle, I mentally cringe at the thought of major components letting go on mountain roads.

I want wide safety margins. I want to hook and and go without worrying about losing the trailer...or worse. I want to throw stuff in the bed and not worry about it until I get there.

Sooo...I chose an F150 crew cab with factory tow pkg. In addition, it is getting its air bags installed today. It has a 9200 pound tow rating, and I figure that my 3023 won't weigh over 5000 if I load everything I could think of in it.

These modern crew cab p/u trucks are quiet, a dream to drive on the road, and powerful. On mine, the computer tells me that I am averaging 17.4 mpg even after a trip up to Big Bear Lake, (7200 ft above sea level), with 4 passengers and the bed filled with a church group's luggage, plus a couple of hundred miles of city driving. Not towing though.

Yes, its big, 5100 empty weight. But if safety, comfort, and worry free loading matter, its worth it. Most DW's like safety and comfort, especially if there are kids/grandkids involved. A test drive at a local dealer's might open new possibilities. Just a thought.

My .02
Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Chicagoslick,

Here is a quote from a post I put up a year ago or so. The point is that I just don't want to have to worry about what I take with me in the TV.

Tom
Apparently I like a bigger safety margin than you. My trunk weighs 6300 pounds with no cargo and no passengers and no driver.

Sorry, i just could not resist.

My crew cab with 8 foot bed is not big enough. We take a crew cab with 6.5 foot bed along with us for the rest of the stuff.

No one builds a vehicle big enough to meet my requirements. My requirements are not only weight limits, but also the volume of stuff. I can not use a camper shell because it would reduce volume capacity. I can not use a flat be commercial truck because I would not be able to push the motorcycle up the ramp and I am not good enough to ride it up.

We all have different requirements. Fuel economy is not one of my requirements, but I am certain that it is for many people.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Dave99gst

I tow with a 2720 Chrysler Pacifica with no problems what so ever. I wouldn't hesitate to use any minivan of any make/model to do the same thing.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Scott O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99gst View Post
I tow with a 2720 Chrysler Pacifica with no problems what so ever. I wouldn't hesitate to use any minivan of any make/model to do the same thing.
Dave, I hate to wade in on this one since everyone seems to have a strong opinion, but I really think it does a dis-service to folks new to TM looking for information. We had an early Toyota van, so "any make/model" certainly wouldn't work here. There probably are minivan models which will work, but I don't think a blanket statement is warranted. I go to Baja frequently. People ask if I'm not concerned about the potential for violence. My reply is that I have never had a problem. That is everyone's reply until the first time there is a problem...