TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Default Air bags again (relocated from another thread)

you should be happy with the Tundra. I have the same TV and pull the 3124KB. if you can locate a commerical truck scale, the 3124 may weigh several hundred pounds more than your documentation. propane tanks, batteries, camping gear, fresh water, etc will add quite a bit to the factory TM. Im currently not using a WDH. I added air bags to the Tundra rear suspension and it helped a lot. i add quite a bit to the truck bed carrying capacity when I leave home. Good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
Im currently not using a WDH. I added air bags to the Tundra rear suspension and it helped a lot. i add quite a bit to the truck bed carrying capacity when I leave home. Good luck.
A quick note simply for the benefit of others who may read this post in the future: air bags/helper springs, etc. are NOT replacements for a weight distributing hitch. They do NOTHING to distribute tongue weight to your other axles, and thus, if you do indeed need one and you instead use air bags to "level out the back", you are driving dangerously despite the fact that everything may look great.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I would postively agree with Shrimp on his response to my comment about my not using a WDH. My TM tongue weight does not come close to or exceed the recommended tongue weight specifications for my Tundra. I would recommend everone do their due diligence and research their TV and TM weights to determine their options and proper equipment. My need for air bags is to increase the carrying capacity for the truck bed only. Thanks Shrimp for reminding the TM members.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I have Firestone brand Sport Ride air adjustable air bags. They have been on the Tundra for several years. The 2003 Tundra is the last of the early generation of the mid-size truck. Lots bigger than the Tacoma but certainly not the redesigned Tundra in the last few years. 4.7 ltr V8 is very good for me. It's listed as a 1/2 ton truck but when you put several hundred pounds of stuff in the truck bed, it does weigh it down some. I wanted to add more carrying capacity and the air bags, from my info, suggest that it increases the load to 3/4 ton. keep in mind that the airbags must be inflated at all times. 15lbs minimum. I had let the pressure get too low, like tires, they do leak down, and one of the bags collasped when I hit a chuck hole. It can bottom out internally if the pressure is too low or no pressure at all. I recommend the bags. They are adjustable from side to side. there are kits available with a compressor that will automatically inflate from the cab. Much more expensive. Mine are manual operated with two valve stems located left and right of the license plate.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
rumbleweed

Quote:
I wanted to add more carrying capacity and the air bags, from my info, suggest that it increases the load to 3/4 ton.
This is not technically true. The frame, brakes and trans have a major effect on the load carrying capacity. The airbags only keep you from sagging when overloaded, they do not increase the load carrying capacity. In the case of pulling a trailer, they can also shift the balance of TV weight.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

But the airbag is positioned between the frame and the axle, so the standard rear leaf springs are assisted by the airbag. I can put more weight in the truck bed without stressing the stock suspension. I have 17 inch wheels and larger brakes than stock and a trans cooler.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
rumbleweed

Quote:
But the airbag is positioned between the frame and the axle, so the standard rear leaf springs are assisted by the airbag. I can put more weight in the truck bed without stressing the stock suspension. I have 17 inch wheels and larger brakes than stock and a trans cooler.
You need to be very careful when you read the claims on airbag suspension. They state that they increase the level load capacity. The key word here is "level". They do not increase the load capacity of the TV. They just allow you to put more of the weight in the rear of the TV and still get a level ride. The overall capacity of the TV is not increased at all. You can do the same thing with a WD hitch.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I appreciate your comments. But, I'm not able to do the same thing with WDH, when I'm not using the truck to tow. The air bags assist me when I use the truck to haul heavy items. When I tow, the tongue weight of the TM does not require a WDH with the Tundra.

Its only when I carry and tow in combination that I will use air bags and WDH.

thanks,

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I appreciate your comments. But, I'm not able to do the same thing with WDH, when I'm not using the truck to tow. The air bags assist me when I use the truck to haul heavy items. When I tow, the tongue weight of the TM does not require a WDH with the Tundra.

Its only when I carry and tow in combination that I will use air bags and WDH.

thanks,

rv
Air bags should not be used to level out your TV. If your truck is sagging at any time, i.e. the back goes down much further than the front, your weight is not properly distributed. When you tow, you can compensate for this to a degree using a WDH. When you are not towing, you cannot compensate at all for this (that I know of). As others (and myself) had stated here, air bags do nothing to distribute weight, and they certainly, absolutely, positively DO NOT increase the payload capacity of your vehicle. Improve ride in some cases, yes.

You will do yourself a huge favor if you take 10 min and read through this old but authoritative thread on this very topic:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2659

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

thanks

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King