TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
...............................snip............... ................

As for the strength of the "stabilizer" jacks. Each one of these screw-down jacks is rated for 5000 pounds, which is more than the entire weight of the TM, so the set of four (or two, for that matter) can easily support the TM. The idea that they can't do so is a myth that goes back to the days when the TM had drop-down stabilizers, like the ones on lightweight popups today.

Glad you got the problem resolved.

Bill

All good thoughts Bill except for the last one, on our 2011 2720SL, and this may be just ours, the "stabilizer" jacks are only rated at 500# not 5000# and our owners manual says Do Not Use to change a tire again that may be just ours. But then the jacks also have you cranking the wrong way to raise or lower per the label.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #22
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
All good thoughts Bill except for the last one, on our 2011 2720SL, and this may be just ours, the "stabilizer" jacks are only rated at 500# not 5000# and our owners manual says Do Not Use to change a tire again that may be just ours. But then the jacks also have you cranking the wrong way to raise or lower per the label.
We have the Le-Sure Lift Levelers made by Liftco on our TM, did not get a book on them so just went up to the Liftco web page and they are listed as 5000# each.

scrub, where did you find that reference to not using the jacks to change a tire in the manual?

I looked in ours and saw that they recommend using a bottle jack just behind the axle on the frame but could not find any reference to not using the leveler jacks.

Tim
Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
happybeebob

Being an old guy who lost a friend back in the day through stupiity I always carry jackstands with me and use them in conjunction with any jacking up of the vehicle. That being said I would use the bottle jack to lift then put down the stabilizers to just help stabilize in case the jack failed. Just my thought.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I used the built in leveler jacks when I put in the lift kit without any problem. I have also used them any time I have had to change a tire. I carry a bottle jack but have never used it on the trailer.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
... on our 2011 2720SL, and this may be just ours, the "stabilizer" jacks are only rated at 500# not 5000# and our owners manual says Do Not Use to change a tire
Wow! Never heard of that in all my years dealing with TMs. It actually says that in the Owner's Manual? Neither of mine says anything like that, although under "Changing a Tire", it does say to lift with a bottle jack, then lower the stabilizers for stability.

In the blue book, not in the section that has the Owners Manual, there are sections for each appliance. Stove, refrig, air conditioner, and so forth. Is there one, maybe a single page, for the jacks? If so, what is the manufacturer and model number of the jacks? I've never seen anything other than Le-Sure Lift by Liftco.

If you look at one of the jacks, can you see a manufacturer's name?

The jacks should look like the second item in this link. Do they look like this?
http://www.liftcoinc.com/index.html?...=Jacks&level=2

Very strange ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default stabilizers/jacks

We will be back at the fish camp tomorrow and I'll re verify, it may have been on the stabilizers them selves. Since they look just like the ones on Outback we have; at the moment I can't say what the difference is. My poor memory says just about all the stabilizer/jacks out there are 5000# except for the pop-ups.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
rumbleweed

Web link has very interesting wording. It says jack has " stabalizing capacity of 5000lbs" I read this as maybe can support TM once raised but should not be used to raise it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #28
SCBillandJane

One more word about getting new tires. Make sure to check inflation pressure. At a tire dealership when replacing a 15 inch tire, I assumed that they had inflated the tire to 65 psi its max rating. Wrong. They had to change air hoses around to get a compressor that could go that high. The guy in the shop actually asked why I would want that much air in a tire. I think he was used to inflating tires in passenger cars that often have a recommended inflation pressure of 30 to 35 psi. Don't assume like I almost did that the tire guy read your mind about the pressure needed. It is much easier for the tire store to inflate the tire to 65 psi than to find a gas station able to do it later.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #29
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I had two 15 inch 10 ply tires installed last Friday. Max pressure is 80psi. Your correct, not many convenience stores will have a compressor that will inflate more than 60lbs.

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #30
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
I assumed that they had inflated the tire to 65 psi its max rating. Wrong. They had to change air hoses around to get a compressor that could go that high.
The reason for this, is because most newer tire mounting machines have an air-pressure limiter of 50 psi installed on them. This keeps some unobservant/unknowing tire tech from blowing his head off. Sounds like your guy was a good example of why the limiters are there.

Most likely, they had to put an air chuck onto their impact tool hose, and air the tires up to max.

This reminds me of a young punk customer we had one time. He came in with a separated tire. When we gauged his other tires, they had around 90 psi in all of them (they should have had 32 psi). He "tried" to say we were the ones who put that much air in his tires, and was arguing real hard. I explained to him the tire machines wouldn't place but 50 psi in them at most. I put a tire/wheel on the machine and told him to air it up. When it stopped at 50 psi, he backed down. His response was, "Well, it didn't hurt to try. I guess I need to buy an air pressure gauge."