TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Having owned an Astro van and an S10 with the 4.3L motor and having towed pop-ups with both there is no way I would pull our TM with either. Here in Florida you could get away with it barely but any other state with a minimum interstate speed limit of 50 mph and anything to climb other than our small sand dunes the astro and s10 won't be able to do it. The S10 could not handle the pop-up on I77, I81 and I64 in WV and VA. The S10 had 4.10 gears and a 5200# TC pulling a 2600# pop-up. The Astro had 3.73 gears and made the last long pull into Ashville, NC on I26 at 40mph. We just got back from almost 7 months on the road and pulling the TM with 4.7L v8 was no problem. We did avoid the interstates as much as possible. We spent two months with the TM above 3000 ft which is nothing compared to the 9000 feet plus we towed the pop-up last year.
Just my $.02 worth
scrubjaynest, thanks for the input. As most here have stated, smaller vehicles tend to be inadequate for anything beyond local camping. My example vehicles were meant to represent a starter vehicle (Astro) that most may own when first purchasing a TM, while the Express is meant as example of what should be looked at as an upgrade or new TV. The tow/load capacities are approximately 40% higher on the Express with only a 15% increase in fuel consumption. The only reason I used these particular two vehicles is that I own the Astro and drive the Express at work.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
I certainly understand why campers with low weight carrying capacity tow vehicles are attracted to Trailmanors. They do promote the light weight, lack of sway, and low frontal area of the Trailmanor. Everyone wants better gas milage. One thing to keep in mind is that a high weight capacity tow vehicle gives you freedom to do the unexpected if you so choose. Several times my type of tow vehicle rated to tow 10,000 pounds has made a difference.
When I was in Alaska there was a side road that was recommended that turned out to be mud and gravel. No way would I have tried it without 4 wheel drive. It turned out to be so smooth that a Corvette could have gone there. I was in Texas at Big Bend National Park in the late spring with temperature above 90 and a 15% grade to the best views in the park. With a high weight capacity tow vehicle I had no trouble. Another time I was in Virginia at a race track watching my son take a drivers lesson in an old BMW. When it broke down, we were able to add them and their stuff to the truck and Trailmanor and drive 7 hours home with no worry. Because the truck and Trailmanor are so stable, my wife asks to drive which makes long trips both possible and desireable. I am the type that worries and would limit my travels with a smaller weight carrying tow vehicle. I could add several more examples in our 50,000 miles of travel towing the Trailmanor where weight capacity made a difference. On 2000 mile trip the difference between towing at 10 mpg versus 15 mpg is $268 at 4 dollars a gallon. I recommend the biggest safety margin possible.
Yet another great example of having extra capacity/abilities when needed, and a nice safety margin under normal operation. Well worth the extra $250-500 of gas per year IMHO. Thanks for the input Bill.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
MrA, please keep this at a mature level and not degrade the posts to a childish level again. The fact that I don't yet own a TM certainly doesn't mean that I don't have a full understanding of the differences in types of vehicles, safety margins, towing abilities, future planning, etc. I find your comment very immature, arrogant, and condescending, knowing that you know that I don't yet own a TM. If you're going to make a mature point, make it, instead of singling me out and insinuating a lack of knowledge.
Your behavior reminds me of a politicians in that when the heat is on, immediately throw mud.
Ed,
My apologies for insinuating your lack of knowledge. Instead, I'll try to make the point as directly as I can:

You do not own a Trailmanor nor have you ever owned one. In fact, there is no evidence in your posts that you have ever actually towed a TrailManor with your Chevy Astro, or any other vehicle.

But that hasn't kept you from making a couple hundred posts here. While you are entitled to your opinions, you hold no basis for asserting them above the actual, factual experience of the TrailManor owners in this forum.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Ed,
My apologies for insinuating your lack of knowledge. Instead, I'll try to make the point as directly as I can:

You do not own a Trailmanor nor have you ever owned one. In fact, there is no evidence in your posts that you have never actually towed a TrailManor with your Chevy Astro or any other vehicle.

But that hasn't kept you from making a couple hundred posts here. While you are entitled to your opinions, you hold no basis for asserting them above the actual, factual experience of the TrailManor owners in this forum.
Quite frankly, your harassment of other members is quite a turn-off.

If you don't like his posts then don't read them!

TIM

Edit: For those that may not know, this is not the first time I've seen this post, almost verbatim. Last time Bill deleted it after it escalated.

It's ok to disagree with someone but I fail to understand why we cannot be nice when we do it. It should never degrade into a personal attack.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Quite frankly, your harassment of other members is quite a turn-off.

If you don't like his posts then don't read them!

TIM

Edit: For those that may not know, this is not the first time I've seen this post, almost verbatim. Last time Bill deleted it after it escalated.

It's ok to disagree with someone but I fail to understand why we cannot be nice when we do it. It should never degrade into a personal attack.
My statements are accurate. But please accept my apologies if you feel I could have found a kinder way to have said it, considering the post I responded to.

Objectively, it is I and hundreds of others with tow vehicles smaller than pickup trucks, who are the ones who have been harassed and made to feel unwelcome in this forum. Who knows how many more hundreds have decided not to join the forum, post here, or buy TrailManors because of what has been posted here. I respect the opinions of pickup truck owners who love their vehicles. I only ask that they respect the rights of others to make their own choices.

Particularly inappropriate have been those posting with strong opinions who lack personal knowledge or experience in the issues they are posting about. In this case it is a TrailManor impostor who has persisted in following my posts on several threads for a very long time. Is this forum for TrailManor owners posting about their experiences, or is this forum for people who want to tell others what to do regarding things they've never done themselves?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Sorry, I'm not seeing you as a victim. Is Ed stalking you or are you stalking Ed or is it that both of you are just interested in the subject of towing?

I've been on the board for over a year and I really can't say that I have seen anyone badgering you the way you have appeared to badger Harveyrv (until he quit posting) and now for a second time, Ed.

You an I both know that you were baiting Ed when you asked him if he owned a trailmanor -- you already knew the answer!
And you also knew he would respond aggressively. Very slick actually.

So now you have (again) made sure that everyone knows that Ed has no trailmanor and no trailmanor experience therefore we should all just ignore his posts -- right?

Or am I missing the point of this entirely?

Tim

Mr. A, I am just a member here and this post only reflects my opinion. If you are not badgering then please accept my apology. If you are, then I am asking that you please stop it.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
moaboy

Only Mr. A knows his true intensions. I for one thought Ed's response was a bit over the top. It usually helps to give someone the benefit of the doubt or maybe respond with humor vs "in kind.". At least everyone is a TM admirer ?

This issue of towing capacity sure seems to get some folks all riled up.
Geez nearly as serious as debating a cure for cancer.

I don't think TM would have used a Honda Odyssey in their gas mileage test a few years ago if they thought it was not safe or projected the wrong image.
And yes my old Odyssey tows my 2720 just fine.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
Sorry, I'm not seeing you as a victim. Is Ed stalking you or are you stalking Ed or is it that both of you are just interested in the subject of towing?

I've been on the board for over a year and I really can't say that I have seen anyone badgering you the way you have appeared to badger Harveyrv (until he quit posting) and now for a second time, Ed.

You an I both know that you were baiting Ed when you asked him if he owned a trailmanor -- you already knew the answer!

So now you have (again) made sure that everyone knows that Ed has no trailmanor and no trailmanor experience therefore we should all just ignore his posts -- right?

Or am I missing the point of this entirely?

Tim

Mr. A, I am just a member here and this post only reflects my opinion. If you are not badgering then please accept my apology. If you are, then I am asking that you please stop it.
Tim,
I'm no victim. My purpose in posting here is that I believe TrailManors give people the ability to have a hard side RV that can be propelled by a vehicle like the one I enjoy driving to work every day. Ed believes otherwise so strongly that he challenges me every time I post that.

Of course, Ed's actual experience is material to the arguments he posts. I guess I have a problem with people urgently telling others what to do about things they haven't done themselves enough so that they really know much about it. There's something dishonest about going on and on about an Astro in the TrailManor forum when you've never actually hitched a TM to it. I guess I feel that posters who are speaking from their own experience is what this forum is supposed to be about, and they should not be drowned out by people who have lots to say but no relevant experience to base it on.

And for the record, in case anyone is still reading this thread, if there is one thing I am, it's "mature".

Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Tim,
I'm no victim. My purpose in posting here is that I believe TrailManors give people the ability to have a hard side RV that can be propelled by a vehicle like the one I enjoy driving to work every day. Ed believes otherwise so strongly that he challenges me every time I post it.

Of course, Ed's actual experience is material to the arguments he posts. I guess I have a problem with people urgently telling others what to do about things they haven't done themselves enough so that they really know much about it. There's something dishonest about going on and on about an Astro in the TrailManor forum when you've never actually hitched a TM to it. I guess I feel that posters who are speaking from their own experience is what this forum is supposed to be about, and they should not be drowned out by people who have lots to say but no relevant experience to base it on.

And for the record, in case anyone is still reading this thread, if there is one thing I am, it's "mature".
Ok, Mr. A. If, I have misjudged your intentions, then I'm sorry.

And my apology to the board at large for even having to become involved in this.

Tim
Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
happybeebob

I'm sorry but I thought that being a Site Sponsor allowed you to put in your pro's or con's about a subject whether you owned a Trailmanor or not. If this is not the case then why are subscriptions being accepted from non-owners.It seems to me that anybody who has towed a trailer has input. I myself like to read all the comments and I am a grownup enough person to pick out what interests or works out for me. If anyone has an itch maybe they should just go and scratch it in private rather than use the forum.
By the way I tossed my Thetford. That should change things a bit!