TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Default Maiden Voyage in TM 2720

Well we finally made our first trip to Vancouver Island British Columbia. It is a 1040 km (680 mile) trip which we did over a two day period and includes a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride. Our 2011 TM handle like a dream even in some bad rain we encountered. The TM was very easy to set up and had no issues with it except for one thing, we found the bathroom mirror lying on the bathroom back wall. It had come off the wall. The silicon used did not adhere to the safety plastic coating used on the back of the mirror and all the silicon stuck to the bathroom wall. Also they nail the aluminum strips that are on the top and bottem of the mirror to the wall with a nailgun which is set to high and end up with the nails pulling through the strip. I ended up fixing the mirror back to the wall with a NO NAILS adhesive sealer for both the mirror and the aluminum strip and masking taping it to hold it in place for 24 hours. The adhesive will stick to anything and is instant grabbing and will set in about an hour but needs 24 hours to cure fully. It worked great. The mirror is back up and sucure. Hope this will not happen to anyone else but the possibility is there considering the silicon used. All in all if this is the only thing that will go wrong I consider us lucky.

Hans & Riet

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
ng2951

Had the same thing happen in my 3326. Count yourself luck some of the wallpaper did not fall too.

You repaired it the same way the factory advised.

In the event it happens again, I put some pillows on one wall, covered them with plastic so the adhesive would not stick to the pillows, folded the mirror wall closed and left it alone for 24 hours. Worked like dream.

I used push pins to hold the framing strips in place. After the adhesive sets the pins are no longer needed...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

You would think that after this has happened before they would have changed adhesives instead of trying to use silicon. I reported this to one of the factory reps who travels all over the US and Canada delivering TM's at times. His name is Dion Miller who has been absolutely great in supporting me and he has notified the plant albout my mishap. Hope they rectify it for future customers.

Hans & Riet

PS Sorry about your TM lose and moving to the dark side. Hope you stay on this forum as you are a barrel of info about the TM.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

So far our stay here in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island has been great. The weather not so as it has been very unsettled on the west coast while the central and eastern regions of the country have been sweltering in 48 C temperature (105 F). We have been hovering about 18-21 C with periods of showers. The TM has been great. Have had to get used to all the differences between it and the Fleetwood popup we had for 6 years before the TM but it definately has the popup beat hands down. More comfortable, more space, much better insulation and thereby much quieter for sleeping, and DW loves her bathroom. I must say that having a 4 year old grandson with you that the tub and shower feature sure comes in handy when you have to scrape the mud of him at night, and OMG I love having hot water and not having to boil it on the stove. We are staying here for a month at Living Forest campground with lots of places to visit from this cental location on the Island.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Just a short update as to how things are going with the TM. Day 4 into the stay here at Living Forest I discovered a water leak under the sink in the bathroom. All it took was to tighten the cold water line to the sink tap to stop it, although it is dificult to reach it can be done with water pump plier but be carefull, it is plastic. A few days later and another small amount of water coming from under the tub. After a long search and the removal of the outside tap found both waterline nuts to be loose on the outside shower taps. Again an easy fix but after that I checked the bathtub lines to the taps there and also the kitchen ones. Could tighten all of them with my hand about a quarter turn. I should not have to do this on a brand new trailer. I think that the factory should be on top of this and at least do a pressure check before they close things up and not rely on the dealer PDI to catch it. The leaks were small, just drips but hard to catch at a dealer inspection, but they eventually they showed up. I suggest to anyone getting a new or new to them TM to hook up the water and let it sit for a few days with the pressure on the system. For the rest the TM has been a dream.

Hans & Riet

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Scott O

Welcome to the world of TrailManor! You will find numerous things that "the factory should have done right". For us, it was a wire nut on the brake electrical line that had come apart leaving us without trailer brakes. Other than that, we have been OK. Continue to read this forum to find out what checks or fixes to make. The TM is a wonderful trailer, but unfortunately not without issues.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Well here is another update on the little mishaps of the TM. You would not think that when you buy a brandnew 2720/2012 TM that there would be any problems but I guess that is wrong with all new things. It depends upon when it is build, that is Friday or Monday LOL. This time by chance I happen to put my hand on one of the lower corner moldings that run down from the top of the left rear shell and low and behold it was loose. I proceeded to check both shells and found the same problem at the other corners. Some had both sides loose while another only one, and it extended about 18" up the molding. Ended up removing the sealer as much as I could (remember we are camping) and used a Lepage No Nails to stick it back in place and then proceeded to seal the edges with silicon. Seems to have worked well. Hope it holds other wise the TM is going back to the dealer even though that is a 900 mile round trip. Well back to camping. Really enjoying my grandson who is with us. We have about a week and a half to go before we go back to Calgary AB.

Hans & Riet

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default There's a whole lotta shakin' goin on

Hans and Riet,

Congratulations on your new TM. We bought a used one, but we love it just as much.

About those leaks at the joints of the water system. We encountered one of those on our last trip in July. We also found a screw from the heater cover rolling around on the floor when we arrived at our first destination in the Colorado Rockies.

My feeling is that we should be surprised that, although these things happen, they happen so infrequently. Think about it. As you go down the highway the TM bounces over every expansion joint, repair, pothole or whatever that you run over. The TM gets shaken up and down literally thousands of times on every trip. When we arrived in Colorado we had already driven nearly 2000 miles from home. Imagine what would happen if someone picked up your house and shook it that much!

All in all, it seems to me that the TM takes a major amount of punishment on every trip. The leaks, moulding separations, loose screws are annoying, but understandable. Our 2008 TM has had around seven bazillion shakes by now, , but is still giving us good service.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Hi T and C. Good obsevation but you would not think that that would happen on the first 800 mile maiden voyage. Actually it was the second trip because we picked up our TM in Saskatoon Saskachewan and drove it home 450 miles. Oh well we still love the TM actually we enjoy it more everyday that we camp in it so I guess that sums it up.

Hans & Riet

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Well we finaly arrived back home yesterday in Calgary after being away for a month. Must say the TM tows like a dream and that was over the Rockies from Vancouver to Calgary. Hardly felt the unit except on the long climbs over the Rogers Pass(4340 ft) and the Kicking Horse Pass (3990 ft) that we had to go over. The TV did not struggle but we were down to 50 mph on those climbs which I found okay. I also have nothing but praise for the P3 controller. I had a Tekonsha Voyager before and there is no comparison between the two units. Have to empty the TM over the next few days and drain the water systems. It was 41 F this morning so the winter is not to far away. We have been known to get snow in September. We will clean the unit up and then park it for the winter in the garage till next year camping. All in all we love the TM and DW has really attached to it. Our 4 year old grandson who was with us on the maiden trip had a fantastic time.

Hans & Riet