TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default 2003 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

We just recently added a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L V8 and the factory towing package, 3.73:1 diff. and all the other expected things to our "motor pool". I will add only a Bugflector II, and my prodigy brake controller and I'm ready to go.

I will also consider McKesh mirrors, as they seem to be the best ones going to date.

I still have the Blazer so I can use either vehicle to bring the TM whever I go. 8)

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:2003 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

I know folks who use a Tahoe to pull with and they love it. I think you will be pleased as punch with it. Happy towing.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
2619PDX

We have a 2001 model 2619 and pull it with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L 4WD, and we love it. I have a Reese WDH w/ dual cam set up and man is it nice.

Just returned from a two week trip from Portland, OR to Tucson, AZ and back through California. Towed on the Pacific Coast Hwy into Monterey with NO PROBLEMS.

Average hwy speed in Nevada, Arizona and parts of California was 65 MPH. My avg gas mileage was 13 MPG.

I have McKesh towing mirrors too. These give you a great view of what's behind you.

Gregg
Old 08-13-2003, 06:23 PM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Gregg,

How come you didn't call? I thought we were going to hook up.

Larry
Old 08-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #5
2619PDX

Larry. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't bring your phone number with me, and that's the god's honest truth. On Saturday night I drove right past you too on hwy 17 on the way into Fremont from Monterey!

I thought about it at that point and said OOP's! :-[

My bad. On the way down, we drove through Nevada, but I had to go to the L.A. area for business on the way home, so we went to Disneyland and then came up 101 and hwy 1 into Montery. It's then that I discovered that I hadn't brought my TM book - that included your phone number. NUTS! (But I DID wave... )

Again, my bad. I'm sorry and hope you'll forgive me. My wife and son want to go back there next year for a week or so, so perhaps we can hook up then.

But if you're ever in Oregon, let me know and I'll make a special effort to meet you!

Best,

Gregg
Old 10-26-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
kdbell

We are looking to purchase both a 3124 KS TM and a TV and have been looking at the Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon. One question I have is the towing difference between the 4.8L and the 5.3L engines. Did you consider both or just go straight for the 5.3L. What model TM are you towing and do you tow in the mountains. Also, do you have a dealer to recommed wher you got a good price for the Tahoe?
We are in Virginia Beach but can travel for a good deal.
D&K
Old 10-26-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

D&K,

I went straight to the 5.3L, I knew it would have the power I needed and the reserve for when I didn't. I thought briefly about the 5.7L but the availability of one was low, I was told that I would have to special order one. We did discuss the 4.11 diff. too, but decided to go with the 3.73 for the same reason as the engine.
I pull a 2720, but would not hesitate to pull a 3124 if I had one. The towing capacity of 7600# is more than adequate and even at the 80% rule a 6000# trailer is no problem.
I have towed the mountains, I have gone into Lake Tahoe, over the Santa Cruz mountains in California, and I have never had to take the transmission out of drive except for one small stretch. I am very happy with the towing capabilities and the power of the Tahoe...I have no regrets.
I am in California, so I have no recommendations for a local dealership for you, but I am sure that someone here on the boards can recommend a good one to you.

Larry
Old 01-15-2004, 08:20 AM   #8
geezerbiker

Hi:
Old 01-15-2004, 08:23 AM   #9
geezerbiker

Hi:

We are prospective buyers of a TM and are just looking around for information from current users. I see from your note back a few months ago, that your initial experience was positive.

What are your current thoughts ?

We currently use a 2001 Chev Tahoe for towing a regular (5000#) trailer and it works pretty well except in the mountains.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Hello geezerbiker and welcome! I would be more than happy to any specific questions that you might have. We have had our TM 2720 since August 2002 and our Tahoe since July 2003. I am still VERY happy with the combo. I have found that we go more places now, mainly because we don't have to worry about not having enough ooomph to get there.
If you have any questions regarding TM in general you have come to the right place.

Again, welcome, sit back and enjoy, and never think that a question you have isn't worth asking...we have all wonder many of the same things, and it's amazing how a question will bring out the confirmation that you aren't alone.

Larry