TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
TrailGuy77

Thanks Mr. Adventure and Bill,

The TM and TV sit fore/aft level when hooked up and loaded (Eyeballing).The Rear of the TV and front of the TM squat without the WDH hooked up. I have set the spring bars a link looser in the past and do notice more squat.Maybe I do have a very heavy tongue on my TM.I agree,I should visit a scale.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Thanks Mr. Adventure and Bill,

The TM and TV sit fore/aft level when hooked up and loaded (Eyeballing).The Rear of the TV and front of the TM squat without the WDH hooked up. I have set the spring bars a link looser in the past and do notice more squat.Maybe I do have a very heavy tongue on my TM.I agree,I should visit a scale.
Without any appreciable water in the tank, my 3023 weighed 506# on the tongue, with a moderate load inside (I'd estimate no more than 150# of my stuff from the refrigerator forward). I also swapped the battery forward for an Optima in the storage compartment, which could make a 100# or so reduction on the tongue (because I tow with a lighter tow vehicle, I liked the idea of a 500# tongue better than a 600# tongue). So just guessing, I'd expect yours to be somewhere in this same ballpark, and well within reason for your tow vehicle. So I wouldn't expect you to need nearly so heavy a setting for your hitch bars.

When you measure the front fender to the pavement on a level surface before hitching and hitched, with and without the bars, what do you get?

With the trailer unhitched and level, where is the trailer hitch position versus the unhitched position of the hitch ball (measure the bottom of the trailer hitch minus an inch or so versus the base of the hitch ball on the tow vehicle)?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
MisterP

I believe this has already been mentioned, but hooking up a WDH correctly should include measuring the TV height to the ground at the wheel wells front and back as you make adjustments. Visual check should not be the only criterion.

Mea culpa if this was discussed earlier in the thread.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
TrailGuy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Without any appreciable water in the tank, my 3023 weighed 506# on the tongue, with a moderate load inside (I'd estimate no more than 150# of my stuff from the refrigerator forward). I also swapped the battery forward for an Optima in the storage compartment, which could make a 100# or so reduction on the tongue (because I tow with a lighter tow vehicle, I liked the idea of a 500# tongue better than a 600# tongue). So just guessing, I'd expect yours to be somewhere in this same ballpark, and well within reason for your tow vehicle. So I wouldn't expect you to need nearly so heavy a setting for your hitch bars.

When you measure the front fender to the pavement on a level surface before hitching and hitched, with and without the bars, what do you get?

With the trailer unhitched and level, where is the trailer hitch position versus the unhitched position of the hitch ball (measure the bottom of the trailer hitch minus an inch or so versus the base of the hitch ball on the tow vehicle)?
Sorry I did not respond sooner,I have been away and my TM is still at the dealer so I can't give you these measurements yet.

When I bought my TM, the dealer transferred the WDH from
my 2003 TM to this one.I don't know if they took any measurements.I will let you know when I get it back.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Sorry I did not respond sooner,I have been away and my TM is still at the dealer so I can't give you these measurements yet.

When I bought my TM, the dealer transferred the WDH from
my 2003 TM to this one.I don't know if they took any measurements.I will let you know when I get it back.

Thanks!
I think you're going to find that the hitch ball is set too low to start with, and then you're overdoing it with the WDH to bring it up to level. But I'm still guessing, of course.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote