TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I use a EzLift 1000 lb wdh with my 3023 & it works great although I did take the time to really set it up using the instructions. I also always clean & re-grease the bars which results in less wear on wdh at the suggestion of EzLift representative the I asked allot of questions in 2008.

Mr Adventure I believe the 2010 3023 is already equipped with 15" same as mine was therefore there maybe no foundation for this part of your suggestion. Sorry I just couldn't resist

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
I use a EzLift 1000 lb wdh with my 3023 & it works great although I did take the time to really set it up using the instructions. I also always clean & re-grease the bars which results in less wear on wdh at the suggestion of EzLift representative the I asked allot of questions in 2008.

Mr Adventure I believe the 2010 3023 is already equipped with 15" same as mine was therefore there maybe no foundation for this part of your suggestion. Sorry I just couldn't resist
As far as I know, all 3023's may have always had 5000# axles and 15" tires. The reference to the 3023 relates to the original poster who I was responding to.

But otherwise, you're spot on.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
As far as I know, all 3023's may have always had 5000# axles and 15" tires. The reference to the 3023 relates to the original poster who I was responding to. My suggestion about 14"/15" tires was about a certain 2720 owner who doesn't use a WDH himself but nevertheless tells everyone else to dumb down their hitch bars because he erroneously figures heavier rated bars might be somehow responsible for some of the 14" tire blowouts.

But otherwise, you're spot on.
No problem I was just picking at you in fun . I have gotten some really good advice on boards & some not so good advices in the past which is why I always try to find more than one answer to average them out.

Incidentally I did agree with your explanation & it was inline with what I was told by EzLift. I chose EzLift over other brands because of the GREAT pre-sale service received.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
TrailGuy77

Thank You to each and every one of you who responded to my post!

To answer a few questions that were brought up. I run my spring bars in the fourth link from the end (meaning there are 5 links between the spring and the frame). The chain link assembly is straight when hooked up.The spring bars are parallel to the ground.My TV hitch receiver is tight however there is some slop between the square point hitch and the receiver which I find quite common (some are tighter than others). The noise happens when the TM (not the TV) goes over the speed bump.The noise is very hard to describe but it does not sound like metal to metal contact,more like the body slamming down against the suspension bumpstops.Sounds strange, I know but I can't describe it any better.Maybe the TM is suspension is bottoming out?

The TM is at the dealer having more warranty work done to it.I will ask them to check over the TM and TV when I pick it up and I will tell them to look for some of the things you guys pointed out.

Thanks Again!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #15
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Thank You to each and every one of you who responded to my post!

To answer a few questions that were brought up. I run my spring bars in the fourth link from the end (meaning there are 5 links between the spring and the frame). The chain link assembly is straight when hooked up.The spring bars are parallel to the ground.My TV hitch receiver is tight however there is some slop between the square point hitch and the receiver which I find quite common (some are tighter than others). The noise happens when the TM (not the TV) goes over the speed bump.The noise is very hard to describe but it does not sound like metal to metal contact,more like the body slamming down against the suspension bumpstops.Sounds strange, I know but I can't describe it any better.Maybe the TM is suspension is bottoming out?

The TM is at the dealer having more warranty work done to it.I will ask them to check over the TM and TV when I pick it up and I will tell them to look for some of the things you guys pointed out.

Thanks Again!
A simple experiment: Set your WDH a link tighter, and see how it changes your speed bump experience. If the noise is from any slack in the hitch, I'd expect that to tighten things up. I'd be surprised if you're bottoming the trailer suspension, but trailers have no shocks... How fast are you going when this happens?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
The noise happens when the TM (not the TV) goes over the speed bump.The noise is very hard to describe but it does not sound like metal to metal contact,more like the body slamming down against the suspension bumpstops.
OK, that description certainly changes the list of possibilities. I'm now thinking that there is some heavy object in the TM that gets tossed in the air when the TM wheels go over the bump, and then comes down with a thump.

The most likely location is toward the rear of the TM, since it is the rear that gets the most action on a bump. What do you have in the rear storage compartment? A tool box, or the dolly wheel, might make that sound. Unload the compartment, and see if the thump goes away.

Inside the TM, it is possible, I suppose, that the wardrobe rises off the floor an inch, then thumps back down. Put a pillow under it, and try again. Or the folded-down wall of the bathroom - find some way to pad that.

The battery might make that sound if it were inside. But unlike my 2720SL, your battery is on the tongue, right?

Stove grate might rise and fall, but I would expect that to sound more metallic.

Do you have your rock collection in a box under the bed? Or perhaps Jimmy Hoffa?

Anyway, you get the idea. Things at the back of the TM do get tossed around on speed bumps. Think about what could move, and experiment with it. I sincerely doubt that it your hitch or suspension.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
TrailGuy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
A simple experiment: Set your WDH a link tighter, and see how it changes your speed bump experience. If the noise is from any slack in the hitch, I'd expect that to tighten things up. I'd be surprised if you're bottoming the trailer suspension, but trailers have no shocks... How fast are you going when this happens?
The WDH/Spring Bars are already VERY tight as is.I have to raise the tongue jack almost to the point of topping out to secure the chain link assembly without using excessive force with the pry bar.I would be concerned setting it a link tighter.

I travel less than 5 MPH when going over speed bumps.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
TrailGuy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
OK, that description certainly changes the list of possibilities. I'm now thinking that there is some heavy object in the TM that gets tossed in the air when the TM wheels go over the bump, and then comes down with a thump.

The most likely location is toward the rear of the TM, since it is the rear that gets the most action on a bump. What do you have in the rear storage compartment? A tool box, or the dolly wheel, might make that sound. Unload the compartment, and see if the thump goes away.

Inside the TM, it is possible, I suppose, that the wardrobe rises off the floor an inch, then thumps back down. Put a pillow under it, and try again. Or the folded-down wall of the bathroom - find some way to pad that.

The battery might make that sound if it were inside. But unlike my 2720SL, your battery is on the tongue, right?

Stove grate might rise and fall, but I would expect that to sound more metallic.

Do you have your rock collection in a box under the bed? Or perhaps Jimmy Hoffa?

Anyway, you get the idea. Things at the back of the TM do get tossed around on speed bumps. Think about what could move, and experiment with it. I sincerely doubt that it your hitch or suspension.

Bill
Bill,

I keep the dolly wheel in the rear BUMPER compartment but I don't think it would be capable of making the sound I am hearing.I don't keep any large items in the rear storage compartment or the inside of the TM either.
However,I agree that the wardrobe or the bathroom wall assembly COULD be the cause.I will try padding them down and see if that helps!

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The WDH/Spring Bars are already VERY tight as is.I have to raise the tongue jack almost to the point of topping out to secure the chain link assembly without using excessive force with the pry bar.I would be concerned setting it a link tighter.

Wow. That hitch actually sounds too tight (unless you have a really, really heavy tongue weight). I usually take a little less than 200# off the hitch with the WDH, and I routinely hitch from a level position with just the lever bar.

I might try a easing it a couple links to see what happens (a tape measure at the front fender on flat pavement before and after hitching is a poor man's scale... "about the same" isn't a bad answer until you get it on a truck scale). Another thought: Since your speed bump is such a reliable indicator, you might be able to place a spotter by the road to report what it sounds like and approximately where the noise comes from (even just fore, middle, or aft might be helpful info).

Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:

OK, so release the spring bars entirely, and see if that quiets the noise.

By the way, if you have to raise the tongue jack that far, it makes me ask whether the TM is level when you finally get it hooked up and road-ready. It should be. An eyeball check should be adequate, or do a quick measurement from frame to pavement, front and rear.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote