TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Interested in TM and Tow Vehicles

We are seriously looking at becoming TM owners. We like the 2720SL and are trying to figure out what type of tow vehicle we would need. My husband had a Ford Ranger that he delivered mail in which he was pretty happy with. When you look at the specs online it says the XLT with the 4.0L V6 engine will tow 5720lbs. After reading countless threads on this site, I have yet to see anyone pulling a TM with a Ranger. Does anyone have any experience with this TV? We are also wondering if there is an advantage to having 4WD for towing. The gas mileage seems to be quite a bit better without it. Thanks for your help.

Can't tell you how helpful this site has been in our search for an RV that fits our needs. Thanks again.
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

In my opinion, if your tow rating is 5720, you should be fine. There are a ton of other parameters to think about, and a quick search should turn up a ton of information, but over 5000# tow rated vehicles should have no issue towing a 2720SL. I manage with a tow rating of 3500#. It's controversial, to be sure, but I feel comfortable with how I pack and what I'm doing (yes, I've been weighed ). Some of the thoughts have to do with where you're going -- mountains have a very different requirement than the midwest plains -- so others can chime in on that. But, as long as you have a brake controller installed, and think about/evaluate the need for WDH, you should probably be fine.

Welcome!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
BrianS

Default Ranger

I tow with a Ranger and have since 2006.My Ranger has 4.0 ,Auto,4 wheel drive,never had a problem it works great.I towed a couple times without WDH did not like it ,got a WDH and would never go without again.My opinion is that a 4.0 Ranger is a great TV for a 2619 or 2720.My Trailmanor is the 2720 I hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
ED-n-KEL

You should be fine with that rating.
I would only point out that towing demands more from you vehicle. You don't state the year of your Ranger so if it's older or has lots of miles on it, it may be a good idea to go through it thoroughly by checking tires, brakes, hoses, belts, fluids, etc. If in doubt, change anything that you wouldn't trust.
I would also add a tranny cooler.
4WD is a great feature, but sometimes deducts slightly from the tow rating, and would effect overall gas mileage.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. BrianS Do you think the 4wd is necessary? And what kind of MPG do you get while towing?
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
ib4classics

You did not say if the Ranger you have or want to get has the "Towing Package", there is more to a "towing package" than hanging a hitch off of the rear end.
For a price it can be added to a vehicle that is not factory equiped with one.
The towing package will insure a long and happy life for the Ranger.
Best of luck and good job for doing your homework first.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default 4wd

4wd is very valuable off road and for muddy roads. It's not of consequence on dry pavement. It's also great to have in the snow, but "snow" is never a place I would go on purpose with a trailer.

We have people who go off road a lot in their camping, but most of us are only off road as we back into the campsite.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

Default 4WD vs AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We are also wondering if there is an advantage to having 4WD for towing.
Keep in mind that technically 4WD is actually "part-time 4WD" as opposed to AWD (All Wheel Drive) which is permanent. The difference, at least on my Durango and most other SUVs and Pickups I know about is that 4WD means all 4 wheels are locked together and turn at the same RPM. Not a good thing on pavement. When not in 4WD the vehicle is only 2 wheel drive - some rear wheel (most pickups) and some front wheel (some SUVs).

AWD on the other hand means that the front and rear differentials and the transaxle allow all wheels to turn at different speeds.

So towing in 4WD would be something you only do on snow, ice, or loose 4WD roads. My AWD Durango gets essentially the same mileage at the 4WD version, which is 2WD unless engaged.

Alan
Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
BrianS

4 wd is not necessary to tow TM but sure is great for hunting and bad weather.Don't really know MPG never pay attention and don't drive for it, (somtimes on highway I tow at 70 MPH)but would say it has to be 13-16 MPG.Hope this helps.When I get a new Ranger I'll get 4 wd again I like knowing I have the option if needs be.