TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Based on absolutely no facts or knowledge, I add 4 lbs. to the door sticker recommendation at each end when I tow. Has worked so far...
Scott, this is hilarious! I love it. Sometimes a man's got to do what a man's go to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
When towing, I increase the pressure on my factory P-rated tires to the max # on their side-wall. This is higher than what's on the door, but gives a less squirmy feel.
This is basically what I do. The original tires on my TV ran at lower pressure to get the max load -- 32 psi. But to get around that same load on my new Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires, I've got to put in close to the max pressure of 44 psi, which is what I tow with. While towing, the ride is much improved with the higher pressure, but riding around town it's a noticeably stiffer ride. I have been riding with about 42 psi, and that didn't make much difference from 44. I may drop down to 40 psi, but I'm not expecting much of a softer ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Well, I checked my sidewall, turns out the Yokohamas are a D rated tire with a max psi of 65psi (just like the TM tires). So now I'm confused as to what pressure I should be running them at. I'll see if i can get a response from Yokohama, I ask Discount Tire and they didn't have a clue.
It's likely that their initial response, at least, will be, "we recommend you ride on tires filled to the maximum rated pressure." That's the response I got from Kumho, until I got an engineer on the phone. He in turn sent me an Excel spreadsheet (which I have posted here on the forum) that shows load ratings at various pressures below the max. Frankly, it looked like he probably made it up in 5 min after getting off the phone, but I relied on it and it worked well (umm, at least until the blowouts during a heat wave when the tires were 3 yrs old).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Based on absolutely no facts or knowledge, I add 4 lbs. to the door sticker recommendation at each end when I tow. Has worked so far...
This demonstrates the difference between a WAG and a SWAG.
for those of you not in the know:

WAG - Wild *** Guess
SWAG - Scientific Wild *** Guess

The difference is that for a SWAG there is at least *SOME* applicable data available, but that data is insufficient to not guess.

I do pretty much the same. For the front, door spec plus 5. For the rear, tire max minus 5.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
brulaz

This might help:
www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/loadinflationtable.pdf

If I understand it correctly, you use the sticker on your door to back-calculate (using the load inflation tables) what load the original tires could handle. Then use the load inflation tables to inflate your new tires to support the same load.

I'm not really sure whether the provided tables refer only to Toyo tires or not. Apparently the full tables are a closely guarded secret of some Tire&Rubber association and can only be accessed by paying a fee.