TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Plugging a TV tire

Sure this has been discussed in some other thread, but I can't find it.

My TV has an almost new tire with a big nail in it and a leak. Will plugging it (from the inside) make it good enough? The nail is right in the center of the tread, not in the sidewall.

I really don't want to replace the tire as they're pretty mediocre, and I was hoping to just wear them down and then get something better. And I don't think I can get much for them as a trade-in, especially now.

Unfortunately the spare can't be used as a replacement as it's a different rim size (argh!)

But if it's not safe for towing, I'll replace all 4 tires with something better but that's a really expensive option.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
donbarlow

Default tire repair

We live in a rural area and seem to get nails and or screws in the TV tires more often than seems normal, but have never had any problem with plugged or patched tires. We have been towing our own trailers ranging from 26 to 31 feet and now our favorite is a 3124KB. Preference would always be to not have punctures, but cant afford new tires every time we do.
Don
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

My current tires are around 4 years old, and 2 years ago, I also had a nail in one of them. Had it patched from the inside as you describe, and have traveled thousands of miles (at least half of those with the TM) through 15 degree to 110 degree heat with no problems. I'll be replacing all of them next year because they'll be 5 years old and starting to show some cracking.

If done by someone who knows what they're doing, I think it's a very effective repair. I think I paid $20-$25 total.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
brulaz

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I hoped to hear.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Sure this has been discussed in some other thread, but I can't find it.

My TV has an almost new tire with a big nail in it and a leak. Will plugging it (from the inside) make it good enough? The nail is right in the center of the tread, not in the sidewall.
In my biz, the term "plugged" means a rubber or corded plug inserted from the outside of the tire.

A 'patch' is placed on the inside of the tire (which is what you want)

What you really want is called a 'patch insert' (sometimes called a patch/plug combo). It has a rubber insert built onto the patch.......and is all installed from inside the tire after it is dismounted.

The insert fills up the hole in the tire....... to keep dirt, water, etc from entering the tire from the outside. The patch seals the tire from the inside. The tire technician will first drill the damaged area out with a special bit, sized to fit the particular patch/insert to be used. This will round the hole out and remove any wire, belts, etc.....before installing the insert. He'll then buff the inside liner of the tire for the patch part. The last step is to apply the glue (let it set), then pull the insert thru the hole until the patch makes contact with the inner liner.

A patch/insert is the only RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) approved method to repair tires.

Using a "plug" voids a manufacturers warranty.

Here is what it looks like:

Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
brulaz

Bobby, I was hoping you would see this thread. Now I know exactly what to ask for. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Excellent info, Bobby! I didn't realize there was a difference between a plug and patch, so good to know.

Thanks!
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
PopBeavers

I am comfortable using plugs in my ATV tires, where the pressure is 6 psi and I am off road when I get the flat. I can fix it myself.

I have used plugs on my trucks for decades with no problems. Even though I know it is not the approved method.

When it comes to towing, risks are higher and the consequences are higher, so I would insist on the RMA approved repair method.

At 4 years old, I would start looking to replace the tires before next season. I had a blow out in year 4 of my TM tires.

I will be replacing my truck tires soon, even though they only have 16,000 miles on them. They are now 3 years old.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
brulaz

One local garage couldn't do it 'cause the wheels were too big (20") for his ancient machine. Another reason to get 18" wheels I guess (the spare is also 18").

Another guy did it for $35 and called it a "pull-thru" patch. He also rebalanced and added a tiny weight to the inner rim.

So we're almost ready to leave for Florida ... finally. Really glad this wasn't a show stopper/delayer.