TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
klv5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
My sewer hoses have little orange caps that go over the ends, air tight, so I can rinse them out, then cap one end, compress the hose, and cap the other and they keep their small size. Makes for easy storage.

ay.
I like idea of capping the hose and compressing it. I think I found those caps with the adapter at Camping World. Also found the "doughnut", a hard rubber/foam that fits around connection on sewer hose. I have not seen in my Wal-mart, maybe will find at another one.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You have a 2004 TM, and that is the year that several things changed including the back bumper configuration. I don't know which configuration you have.

Earlier TMs had a steel diamond-plate cover over the rear bumper compartment, and a square steel bumper. The hose was stored inside that bumper. There are a few screws that penetrate the bumper, and the sharp screw points tend to snag the hose and rip it. This is easily fixed by unscrewing each screw, snipping or filing off the point, and screwing it back in.

Newer TMs have a plastic cover over the rear compartment, and no hose-storage tube. Instead, the hose can be stored inside the compartment - I keep my hose, along with an extension hose, manual crank for the jacks, and a couple other things in the big center section of the compartment.

As for a donut (aka foam ring). Whenever I have been in a campground that demanded a donut, they actually had a picture of a hard plastic elbow. The red ones from Valterra are common, and most campground stores sell them in case you don't have one. At any rate, the campground owners have explained to me that many campers just stick the bare floppy end of the hose into the campground's sewer riser, and because it is so flexible, it often pops out. Understandably, they don't care for that. With a rigid angle fitting on the end, and a rock set on the lip of the fitting, it doesn't happen. I think WalMart carries these. Certainly every RV store, on-line and physical, has them. About $10-12 if I recall.

Note regarding the picture. It looks like there are two pieces - the elbow, and the cap hanging from the cord. Actually there are three pieces - the elbow separates into two. The upper half of the elbow is permanently attached to the end of the hose. It separates from the lower half at the big flange, and the tapered part of the flange serves as a donut. The ability to separate the halves makes it a bit easier to store.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valterra.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	6040  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
gmferg

Here is a link to another thread on the sewer hose stowage question.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9973
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
klv5920

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You have a 2004 TM, and that is the year that several things changed including the back bumper configuration. I don't know which configuration you have.
Thanks bunches. After doing further investigation, former owner left me with original sewer hose with one fitting so back to Walmart to get another length of hose, fittings like ThePair has mentioned in his post. I did find a donut at Walmart this trip. And after reading the thread that GMFERG referenced, now know due to Bill's post on 4-7-2010, how to open the bumper lid with the TM closed down!
Gosh, you all are just a wealth of info and you sure make it easier for us newbies. Thanks for all posts!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Our TM came with a generic hose and fittings that we used for the first year. The hose had a wire that kept it expanded and acted as a thread for the fittings that were screwed into the ends.

Over time I started getting small drip leaks at the fittings. The hose did not compact/keep shape very well and after dumping I would normally disconnect at the TM first and then lift up/rinse into the sewer. The length of the hose and it not keeping shape would sometimes make it a handful.

Eventually I decided to replace it and came across the Camco Rhino-Flex kit at Walmart. I had heard a lot of good things about the Rhino-Flex and decided to get it even though it was a little pricey compared to some of the lower-end generics.

It’s one of the best investments I have made on the TM. The fittings do not leak, the hose is very rugged and the best feature is it keeps its shape. I no longer fear the hose blowing off the fitting while dumping. The hose will stretch out to 15’ and compact down to 3 feet or so and keep its shape for easy storage in the TM bumper.

When I finish dumping I remove from the TM first rinse, put the end cap on the TM side and then compact the hose down to a small size while still draining into the sewer, then put the other end cap on - all without a single drop escaping.

The kit includes the hose, an elbow and a plastic donut. If you need the fittings and have an older/cheap hose, you may want to consider the Rhino-Flex kit.

here is a picture of the kit
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Thedford puts out an exellent hose kit also. Includes all the above mentioned attachments, such as elbow and adapter for sewer hole end. What I really like about this is the fact that the hose is rubber and can be stepped on without damaging and distorting the hose, plus it is alot more puncture resistant. Also the hose couplings are like the aircraft type that have camlocks that positively lock the hose onto the adaptors. A little pricy but well worth it as less chance of spills.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
klv5920

I am looking at all. Thanks guys!! Appreciate it.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
jimair1548

Attachment 6042

Attachment 6043

We have found that a 30 qt. container from Walmart holds the sewer hose and a short length of rinse hose very nicely. It fits in any small space in our truck. See attached..... Jim
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote