TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnussbau View Post
I just got back from the Jubilee in Branson, where the TM founder's son Mike spoke in a "tech talk" session. He suggested that the max for a WDH on a single axle TM is about 750 lbs. The reasoning was (partially) that the very sudden weight transfers during a "porpoising" session can overwhelm the tires, especially the 14" ones. Think of 500 lbs or more suddenly appearing, then disappearing, on the axle/tires -- repeatedly.

Still, many factors will determine what you need. One item that has occurred to me is that pickups, unlike some other vehicles, are engineered to run both with and without a load in the rear (up to a point, of course). Just food for thought, to add in to all the other items people have discussed here.
So am I understanding correctly that it MAY be best to stay on the lighter side of the load rating when choosing a WDH?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
So am I understanding correctly that it MAY be best to stay on the lighter side of the load rating when choosing a WDH?
That's the impression I had. Note that I'm far, far from an expert on this, and I'm just passing on his comments. It does make some sense to me, though.