TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I was thinking about a piece of PVC cut to correct depth for the end with a hose clamp around the frame. Negative is it may allow it to twist a little with the weight of the bar but then again it may not. Simple & Cheap. I may even already have some PVC. Im still going to check with my dads fabricator just out of curiosity for a true cost to make something similar.

Wayne I don't think the tab was really meant as a security deterrent since it is easy to just twist it out.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
Wayne I don't think the tab was really meant as a security deterrent since it is easy to just twist it out.
According to his ad it is. "Bar Buddy tm is also a theft deterrent, lock the chains together and forget them!" That's because you have to swing the bars out to 90 degrees to clear that tab and pull them out. If the chains are locked together, you can't do that..........(ya right....).
http://www.rvbarbuddy.com/index.html
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
According to his ad it is. "Bar Buddy tm is also a theft deterrent, lock the chains together and forget them!" That's because you have to swing the bars out to 90 degrees to clear that tab and pull them out. If the chains are locked together, you can't do that..........(ya right....).
http://www.rvbarbuddy.com/index.html
Oops I missed that sorry consider me put in my place

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
Nature Recorder

Wonder what keeps the road debris, dust and grime from collecting on the transferred grease to the cups? I can see "cookie dough" collecting in there when traveling dusty roads.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Recorder View Post
Wonder what keeps the road debris, dust and grime from collecting on the transferred grease to the cups? I can see "cookie dough" collecting in there when traveling dusty roads.
That's the point of the cups.........they're a lot easier to clean than your pants though.....
Old 06-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Nature Recorder

OK here is an idea for the greased end for the "L" type spring bars. Taking this product as the idea.

4 inch long galvanized pipe nipple with ID that will fit your particular spring bar. Mine are about 1 1/4 inches in diameter so I am trying a 1 1/2 inch ID pipe nipple. A 3-5 inch screw type hose clamp. Clamp through the pipe to the arm of the trailer tongue at the point where you want the "L" to be. Pipe is in a vertical position so you just drop the "L" into it and support the chain end as needed off the tongue.

Home Depot about $10 for both sides (2 pipe nipples and 2 hose clamps).
Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Recorder View Post
OK here is an idea for the greased end for the "L" type spring bars. Taking this product as the idea.

4 inch long galvanized pipe nipple with ID that will fit your particular spring bar. Mine are about 1 1/4 inches in diameter so I am trying a 1 1/2 inch ID pipe nipple. A 3-5 inch screw type hose clamp. Clamp through the pipe to the arm of the trailer tongue at the point where you want the "L" to be. Pipe is in a vertical position so you just drop the "L" into it and support the chain end as needed off the tongue.

Home Depot about $10 for both sides (2 pipe nipples and 2 hose clamps).
That will work too. The reason that I prefer PVC or ABS is because there is no chance of rust and scratching. If you use a PVC pipe coupler, it's twice as thick as just using the PVC pipe and the ends are smooth.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I had forgotten about this "built in" storage for my spring bars, until recently. The idea came from MCD, TM dealer on Cape Cod. Our unit was in for service and I was trying to decide how and where to store the spring bars. Debra from MCD suggested I slide them into the open frame section located beneath the A frame. Not sure if non-slide models have the same extra frame piece. Wrap the bar end with a small rag before stowing - keeps the dirt off and prevents grease stained pant legs.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833a.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	3664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2835a.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	3665  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
I had forgotten about this "built in" storage for my spring bars, until recently. The idea came from MCD, TM dealer on Cape Cod. Our unit was in for service and I was trying to decide how and where to store the spring bars. Debra from MCD suggested I slide them into the open frame section located beneath the A frame. Not sure if non-slide models have the same extra frame piece. Wrap the bar end with a small rag before stowing - keeps the dirt off and prevents grease stained pant legs.

Dick
I was thinking the same thing, reading this thread, by my other side has some wires going through it--I'd be afraid of damaging them if I slid the bars in there.

I was thinking of just laying the bars on the spare tire holder. May not be as elegant, but should work. There may be some place to stash them behind the gas tanks, but my slide is open right now, so I can't really scope out the space.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote