TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
bill s

Question dot tire dates

i guess this is a ? for wmtire...i just recieved 2 tires for my tv...they are yokohama's
geolander...the only nomenclature on the tire (ie dot..) is DOT CCBN ????
how do i interpret this????

thanks for any help bill s
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill s View Post
i guess this is a ? for wmtire...i just recieved 2 tires for my tv...they are yokohama's
geolander...the only nomenclature on the tire (ie dot..) is DOT CCBN ????
how do i interpret this????

thanks for any help bill s
Howdy Bill S. Check the other sidewall, if you don't see 4 digits at the end of the DOT letters/numbers on the sidewall you looked at. You can have part of the DOT code on both sidewalls, but usually only have the complete code (with date codes) on one sidewall. If they are already mounted on the vehicle, then you may need a flashlight and have to crawl underneath to see. We talked about it in the forum below.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...highlight=code

Let me know if you can't find them. It's a rare occurance, but every now and then a batch of tires make it to market without the required DOT dates on them. They are supposed to be removed when caught.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
bill s

Unhappy dot dates

i check again....and nothing except DOT CCBN...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
wmtire

Hmmm, it's possible you got a some tires from a batch where the date code plate wasn't installed in the mold. Now the date code doesn't have to be immediately right after the other numbers/letters. They are sometimes over an inch or so away. If it is worth your effort, you can snap some pics of both sidewalls near the DOT code and send them to me at [email protected], and I'll be more than happy to look for you.

Legally, you can send the tires back if they don't have the required full DOT code on one sidewall.

The only tires I have seen without the DOT code was some semi-truck tires casings that were brought over here in container quantities from other countries. There was a big stink at one time with recappers buying these actual illegal casings, then putting recaps on them and running them on US roads. I got out of that part of the tire business many moons ago, and haven't kept up with what all happened there. These tires didn't have any DOT code, unlike yours which at least has the manufacturing facility code (the first 2 digits tell this).
Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Hmmm, it's possible you got a some tires from a batch where the date code plate wasn't installed in the mold. Now the date code doesn't have to be immediately right after the other numbers/letters. They are sometimes over an inch or so away. If it is worth your effort, you can snap some pics of both sidewalls near the DOT code and send them to me at [email protected], and I'll be more than happy to look for you.

Legally, you can send the tires back if they don't have the required full DOT code on one sidewall.

The only tires I have seen without the DOT code was some semi-truck tires casings that were brought over here in container quantities from other countries. There was a big stink at one time with recappers buying these actual illegal casings, then putting recaps on them and running them on US roads. I got out of that part of the tire business many moons ago, and haven't kept up with what all happened there. These tires didn't have any DOT code, unlike yours which at least has the manufacturing facility code (the first 2 digits tell this).
Got a notice today that the NHTSA is making Bridgestone recall some tires due to the DOT Tire Identification Number being incorrect/incomplete. It's possible you may see something similar concerning the Yokahama's in the future.

Synopsis:
Bridgestone Firestone (BFNT) is recalling 2,101 Dueler H/T 684 II tires, size P235/60R17, manufactured between September 16 and October 27, 2007. One sidewall has a blank plug where the partial tire identification number (TIN) should be found which fails to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." The purpose of this standard is to establish specific tire dimensions, test requirements, labeling requirements, and defines tire load ratings. BFNT will notify owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge. The recall began on August 22, 2008. Owners may contact BFNT toll-free at 1-800-465-1904.
For more information for this particular recall, please go to 07T007.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
wmtire

FYI, I got 2 more recall notices this week for Goodyear and Michelin failing to meet the Tire Identification Number rules, that are supposed to be on the tire sidewalls. We had discussed this earlier in the above posts, and I am just posting this kinda as an information thing to show everyone that it does happen....to all manufacturers. You may possibly have these tires on your vehicles too. They are not a safety hazard by any means, just a failure to to meet government requirements.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 08T009

Synopsis:
Goodyear Tire is recalling certain Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, size P235/55R18 99V, manufactured during the week of January 7, 2008, which fail to conform to the labeling requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." These tires have the correct full TIN on one sidewall but do not contain the correct partial TIN on the other sidewall. The purpose of this standard is to establish specific tire dimensions, test requirements, labeling requirements, and defines tire load ratings. Goodyear will notifiy owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on or about February 10, 2009. Owners may contact Goodyear Consumer Relations toll-free at 1-800-321-2136.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 09T002

Synopsis:
Michelin is recalling Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ZP 225/50R17 94H tires manufactured between September 17, 2006 and June 14, 2008. These tires fail to conform to the labeling requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires for Light Vehicles." The "DOT" symbol of the DOT TIN is missing. Without the "DOT" symbol on the sidewall, the tire contains no declaration as to its certification. Michelin will notify owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge, including mounting and balancing. The recall is expected to begin during January 2009. Owners may contact Michelin Consumer Care toll-free at 1-800-847-3435 between 8:00am and 8:00pm EST Monday through Friday.