TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default Idea for Improving Weight on Tires

Has anyone considered modifying the axle of their trailer to allow for dual wheels on each side like a dually truck.  This would put less weight on each tire and likely prevent the frequent blowouts.  Just a thought.  I am not sure how feasible this would be.  
Old 09-27-2002, 02:17 AM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Idea for Improving Weight on Tires

I don't think that modifying TM's axles to accept dual wheels on each end is something that is feasible for TM owners to do. It's complex enough that only the TM factory should consider it. However, there may be more disadvantages to this kind of a tire arrangement than advantages. Consider this:
1. Would you be willing to accept an interior aisle space that's 18" or more narrower than that in our present trailers? Remember that our tires basically are inside the trailers (look at the wheel wells inside of the cabinets)?
2. How difficult would it be to change an inside tire if you had a blowout while on the highway?
3. Would you like to have to get underneath your trailer in order to check an inside tire's pressure?

Raising the floor's height in order to use dual wheels without sacrificing loss of floor space is a possibility. However, that would mean that the floors of our TMs might be a foot higher. Not only would this make entry more difficult but, with a higher center of gravity, our trailers would be more unstable on the highways.

I'm convinced that the best solution to minimizing our risk of blowouts involves purchasing the best tires available, keeping them properly inflated and replacing them every 5 to 6 years. Don't overload your trailer, and, convert your TM's square-cornered wheel wells to round-cornered ones if you haven't already done that.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:35 AM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

All of Larry's points seem to make a lot of sense to me.  It looks to me that the TM people have done a number of things to try to solve this problem.  Maybe the tire manufacturers can come up with better tires.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:59 AM   #4
KB7OUR

Great points from Larry  . I would add to drive within rated tire speed  >. And remember that risk increases the further you choose to venture outside the safety envelope  . Know the limits so you can make informed decisions and enjoy your TM for recreation instead of aggrivation!  ;D

Wade
Old 09-28-2002, 03:43 AM   #5
oilspot

I agree with the points about tire limitations and speed rating.

I drive a bit more conservatively, now that I know the speed rating is only 65 mph on the GY Marathons.

I also plan to weight my trailer (yes I know I keep saying this) so I know how close to the weight limit I am...

Old 09-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #6
KdHammonds

I understand and appreciate the comments regarding the dual wheel concept. However, my original thoughts were that the dual wheels would stick out away from the trailer adding a wheel to the outboard side of the existing wheel. A fender could then be fabricated for the trailer similar to a dually pick-up truck. This may be an issue on the door side creating a small obstruction once set-up. As far as checking the tire pressure, valve extensions are made for this purpose so the interior tire pressure can be checked as easily as the outboard tire. As for changing a blowout, I don't think it would be significantly more difficult, and I think the potetntial for and frequency of blowouts would be significantly decreased. You would also have the added benefit of greater stability in the event of a blowout.

I realize this solution may not be perfect. However, the frequency of blowouts reported on this board as well as calculations showing the best tires are close to being at the maximum capacity, has lead me to conclude TM may have errored in the axle/tire design. I have not seen other trailers of this size and weight with single axles.

Even though I think this is a design issue, I believe the other benefits of the TM outweigh the negatives, and I hope to pick-up my TM in two weeks. I will immediately perform the wheel well modification.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is all just an idea at this point.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:27 AM   #7

I am currently considering purchasing a larger Trailmanor and have been concerned about the single axel on this size of trailer.  Seems like the dual wheel idea would be a good one.  J.C. Whitney has kits to adapt dual wheels to single wheel pickups.  Not sure if they would work in a TM modification.

I have not looked under a TM, but how difficult would it be to add a second axel and go to smaller tiires such as 14 or 13?  I currently have a 21' Towlite and it uses 13 and is 2900 empty.

Ken
Old 11-30-2002, 10:40 AM   #8
KB7OUR

Default Ken, Re: Idea for Improving Weight on Tires

Ken, from the looks of things under the TM (it's an open design like a pop-up), I doubt that it would be practical and maybe not even possible to add a second axle. It could mount to the frame, but then there are all the other mods one would have to perform to get it right. i.e. cut wheel wells through the 3" floor, add liners, modify inside cabinetry, adjust for shift in CG, etc. A TM may not be for you if you are considering such a mod, with one exception...the largest TM model is the only one that does have dual axles. If you want this option for extra load handling then this might be the way to go. Hope this helps and good luck with your future purchase.

Wade
Old 12-01-2002, 03:05 AM   #9

Wade, thanks for the input.  I have built a foam/fiberglass boat and built my own boat trailer so would probably not hesitate to make a dual axle mod.  However, one would question if it would be worth the work, as you mentioned just operate within the load and speed limits.  We do not tow the Towlite at high speeds, max 65 mph., higher speeds with a trailer just don't feel good to me, although the Towlite handles very well in all conditions.

We just started to look at the Trailmanor and of course my wife looked at the floor plans and wants the 3326, so I willl get dual axles!  Looking for a good used one here in central midwest.

Ken
Old 12-01-2002, 12:31 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I am currently considering purchasing a larger Trailmanor and have been concerned about the single axle on this size of trailer. Seems like the dual wheel idea would be a good one. J.C. Whitney has kits to adapt dual wheels to single wheel pickups. Not sure if they would work in a TM modification. I have not looked under a TM, but how difficult would it be to add a second axle and go to smaller tires such as 14 or 13? I currently have a 21' Towlite and it uses 13 and is 2900 empty.
We seem to be mixing discussion of dual wheels with dual axles. It seems to me that adding another axle (to get dual AXLES) would be hard to do for all the reasons stated. On the other hand, I would think that conversion to dual WHEELS (with the new wheel outboard of the original, like a dually pickup) ought to be easier. But I'm not sure it would accomplish what you want.

In the 2619, 2720 and (older) 3023 sizes, the weight limit is NOT determined by the tire rating. It is determined by the axle rating, which is LESS than the tire rating. A pair of 14" Goodyear Marathons is rated at 3740 pounds, but the axle is rated at only 3500 pounds. Adding extra wheels on this single axle won't prevent you from overloading the axle.

I am told that the new 3023 is equipped with 15" Goodyear Marathons, which have a higher weight rating. Just as important, these 15" tires are mounted on a heavier axle, which also has a higher weight rating. The combination is a nice one.

I love my 2720, but if I were buying it again, I would ask the factory if they could build it with the heavier axle and 15" wheels - and undoubtedly a lift kit, to provide clearance for the bigger tires.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote