TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Scott O

Default 15" Again!!!

By way of introduction, we have had our TM for a little over a year and had absolutely no problems with it. But the near constant reports of tire problems is always in the back of my mind. As someone who had problems recently said, it is diminishing enjoyment of what otherwise is a fine trailer. And it doesn't really matter if there is a problem or not...the perception of a problem is there, so real or not, perception is reality. And the new news that TM is using the recalled valve stems just muddies the water.

I have talked to my dealer several times about this, and except for our last conversation he has said there is no problem and the 14" tires are fine. Now he said he has actually put 15" wheels on some single axel trailers at the owners request and says all works fine. He also said last week "the TM factory is looking into either having 15" as an option or standard!" This was amazing to me.

Anyhow, it is time for an update. I (and I imagine others) would truly appreciate experiences some of you have had who made the switch. I am interested only in later models with the factory lift. I am especially interested in those of you who have just made the swap with no other modifications to the TM. My dealer says the 15" wheels fit just fine on recent trailers with the factory lifted axel and I would like to confirm that with those of you who have done it. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, as you will see in the threads on this topic, I experienced quite a number of failures. I made the switch to 15-inch Marathons, and I love the result. I have about 15K miles at this point, with no reservations.

On the other hand, the recent threads about defective valve stems have me wondering where the failures really occurred. I don't have an answer, but I'm prepared to be embarrassed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
mtnguy

4000 miles with my 15s", and no problems so far. I have the standard axle for a 2003 (22 1/2 degree), but have the 2 1/2" lift kit. I stayed with a C rated for smoother ride, but still gained 560 lbs. of additional carrying capacity "cushion" over the C rated 14s. I am very happy with the changeover to 15s.

Beware that you will probably have to modify your spare tire rack to accomodate the slightly wider tire.

Chap
Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Scott O

Bill...I do suspect that a few, many, or whatever tire problems were caused by the stems. But many of the problems occurred before those stems were in use. There are also the issues of people using old tires and tires deflating due to road debris. So the blame is probably shared. Unless I get reports to the contrary, I will change my wheels/tires and go to metal stems before my next trip, with the goal of removing as many variables as I can. If nothing else, it will be money spent for my peace of mind. Which is not a bad thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
PopBeavers

If I switch fro 14 to 15, I will have to get a low profile tire. I only have 1/4 inch between the a/c on the top of the door.

What would I gain by doing that? Nothing I think. In fact, the volume of air in the tire would decrease while the circumference remained the same.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Scott O

Wayne...my clearance is close also, althought not as close as yours. I figure the new tire/wheel combo will be about 1" higher that the existing 14". If I need to I can let some air out. One way or another, I'll get it in!