TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I haven't heard a car ping in ages! Have computers/fuel injectors taken care of it or have I just been lucky? That was always a good way to tell if you were using high enough octane gas...does it still work that way?
No. The engines onboard computer will change the timing to eliminate ping. This change in timing usually results in degradation of performance.

You should normally be using the octane rating documented in the owners manual.

My trucks and the Sentra use 87. My wife's Lexus SUV uses 91. My motorcycle uses 87. The ATVs use 87, but I run 91 because that is what is in the portable can for the motorcycle and I am usually at high altitude. I think higher octane helps at high altitude, but that may depend on if the ATV is a carb. or fuel injected.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
mkiley

We have a 2005 Pilot (cousin to the Ridgeline) and we love it.

I live in Colorado and have taken many trips into the mountains with 3 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog and 40 gallons of water in the holding tank. Here is what I have learned.

1. Keep an eye on the engine temperature. If the needle moves, slow down
2. I go faster then semis up steep grades and much slower than sedans
3. I'm towing, so I'm not in a hurry. If I'm in a hurry, I shouldn't tow

When towing I average about 11-12 MPG pretty consistently at sea level, in the Rockies, etc. You would think flat, sea level towing would improve gas mileage, but I have seen no noticable MPG difference on a trip from Colorado to California.

Not to start a wicked debate on physics, but I heard an interesting theory. As you climb in altitude, the power decrease from lack of oxegen is somewhat offset by the decreased resistence from the thinner air. I went to public school, so easy on me if this sounds crazy.
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Mckesh Mirrors
2005 Honda Pilot
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
freein05

I just looked this up in the owners manual. It says to use 87 octane unless you are towing a trailer with a weight of 3,500lbs or more. Than they recommend 91 octane.