TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
RidgeRunner

Hi Lars, I think I remember you from Yotatech. Nice to see a familiar friendly face.

I'm thinking about a TM and wondered how easily my 4R would pull it? Looks like yours is doing well. I looked at your gallery, good pix.

Because I have a custom rear bumper I may need to have someone test the strength of the hitch. I don't have much towing experience so am concerned about how to properly and safely set it up for the TM. I do have a transmission cooler and synth ATF.

I'd appreciate your comments or others too.

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Fabbed rear bumper 1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2451  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm not sure how someone would "test" the strength of the hitch - or more properly, the strength of the bumper assembly itself.

If the bumper assembly was true custom, meaning a local welder fabbed it up for you, then he should have some idea of how tough it is, based on the metal size, the span, the weld bead size/length, the shape of the formed metal, and so forth.

If it was semi-custom, meaning designed and supplied by an aftermarket company, then they should have done some engineering (I hope) as part of the design.

One of the important points to remember is that the weight-distributing hitch (WDH) will put a substantial upward twist (torque) on the assembly. The assembly obviously must withstand this torque. This can be a tougher requirement than simple weight-bearing or weight-pulling capacity.

If, in the end, you can't reassure yourself that it is strong enough to be safe, you might consider having a commercial frame-mounted hitch installed underneath the custom bumper assembly. These are carefully engineered and speciifed for needed strength and twist resistance. Cheap insurance, relative to the potential loss of an inadequate custom job.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
RidgeRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If, in the end, you can't reassure yourself that it is strong enough to be safe, you might consider having a commercial frame-mounted hitch installed underneath the custom bumper assembly. These are carefully engineered and speciifed for needed strength and twist resistance. Cheap insurance, relative to the potential loss of an inadequate custom job.

Bill
Thanks, Bill for the good info. I'm going to look for some professional help locally to determine my needs before I get a TM. It's certainly not worth taking a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Nice bumper Mick! Who made it for you? I haven't been over to Yotatech for a while. If you have some 1/4" tieing back to the frame from the receiver and at least 3 of the four points at each frame rail you should be ok. I'd watch the clearance to the body. There's quite a bit of flex when towing.

My 4Runner has 33s and stock 4.10 with over 100K miles and it tows surprisingly well. 4.56 would be a better gear choice but I don't feel like pulling that ifs dif. Setting up the ARB locker is some work. Keep in mind that you've doubled the vehicle weight and won't be breaking any land speed records. You can use overdrive on flat ground but you are better off running in third to avoid the TC from running unlocked when you aren't watching. You can run 70-75mph but 60-65 is much more comfortable. My guess is I lose 2-3mpg towing. The '99 has a tranny cooler integrated in the radiator, I think, but not the extra external one like you put in.

If you have air bags, Land cruiser springs or OME HD springs you might get by without a weight dist hitch (wdh). The stock springs are too soft. If you plan on towing on dirt roads you should consider how to avoid the wdh to keep articulation.

You'll need a brake controller. I'd say Prodigy is thumbs up.

We towed ours all the way to Moab from CA, went wheeling, and towed it back. Hey my truck made the back page of TLCA toyota trails in Nov running Golden Spike.

The TM is great. Like a house on wheels compared to a tent. Easy to spend a week in it especially with little ones.

Lars
Thanks, Lars. A local shop here in the Portland area did the work. I have stock gearing, with 265 75 16s so they are just an inch larger than stock which does gear it up a little.

I have heavy duty Downey springs on the back which may help. I think I'll mostly tow on pavement.

I'm going to try to cover all the important issues before I actually buy a TM.

Thanks much for all the suggestions and help.

Mick