TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My experience is exactly the same a Chap's, except that I oil (rather than grease) the springbar stubs. I have towed with this hitch for at least 40,000 miles over 6 years. Sounds like the dealer is trying to sell you something else.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb You definitely need to Grease the round bars, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Kevin View Post
My RV Dealer just told me the trunion's have wear points on them with potential parts to replace...Don't have any experience with WDH's yet so I don't know if this is true.
With round bars, you need to lube both the top of the bar and the small area, along the front of each bar, where the bottom of the head socket pushes against it hard. I think the amount of "wear" is similar among the two types. And, by greasing the wear points just a little at the start of each traveling day, they'll never become "worn down" down enough to need replacement.

I have the impression that quite a few people damage their bars by simply NEVER greasing them at all.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #13
allenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNFEDDOBY View Post
I am still looking for a easy-to-use/good quality WDH. My question is: are the Trunnion style bars preferred over the Round-Bar style. It seems that the Round-Bar style hangs down lower than the Trunnion Bars. They seem to extend lower from the receiver. Is this a concern for scraping on the ground? Also I found a WDH set-up by Curt Manufacturing for about $150 (1000lbs) on eBay. Anyone have any history with Curt Manufacturing?
You don't mention what style TM you have, but I got the Curt WDH for my 2720SL and was forced to replace the snap up brackets on the trailer with another brand in order to clear the LP tanks. There's a thread on this issue describing the problem with pictures etc. I haven't actually been on a trip with this setup yet, so I can't comment on how well they work in practice.