TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Wheel Base

I want to preface my question with an example of my own lack of knowledge. Having owned front wheel drive cars, I would sometimes be faced with needing to replace worn front tires while the rear tires had plenty of tread left. I always replaced the front tires because common sense seemed to say that they do the steering, the accelerating, and most of the braking, so the front needs the best tread. I was surprised to read in Motor Trend that Michelin had invited Motor Trend to their test track to see what happens with different tread depths on a wet test track. They showed regardless of front drive, rear drive, or four wheel drive that a spin in wet conditions was more likely to occur if the front had new tread/rear half tread versus the rear having new tread/front half tread. In other words, it was best to put the new tires on the rear to prevent a spin.
Finally, here comes the question. Is there an respected internet site that gives good figures about longer wheel base vehicles being safer than shorter wheel base vehicles with other factors being similar. I am thinking of the Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, and Tundra as specific examples although other manufacturers have similar vehicles. Since about 2003 all three have heavy frames, strong engines, good brakes, light truck tires, and 5 speed transmissions. They have been rated to tow 5000+ trailers with the right towing packages. Right now I have a 4Runner rated by Toyota to tow 6,000 pounds and would like to ideally get a 3023 or 3124 which would be less than 80% of the 6000. Can someone point the way to a "scientific" site that will show how much more of a chance I would be taking by towing with a 4runner than a Tundra. I readily admit having been wrong before, but I don't understand why Toyota would put that tow figure on a vehicle if it was unsafe when companies are getting sued for having their coffee too hot.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
mtnguy

Check out: http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

Chap
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
SCBillandJane

I thank you for your reply. There is a nice table there, but I couldn't find its source. I am still looking for an authoritive source that shows the safety of long versus short wheel base TV. I followed a link to the National Highway Trafic Safety Administration site which mentions the same safety towing advice as given on this site, but there was no mention of wheel base. Again, I am not doubting anyone, but am trying to see the relative safety of a something like a Ford 150 truck versus an Explorer with a tow package. Has someone found a site like this from a manufacturer or government agency?
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I doubt that you will find anyone willing to document something that might become an argument in a lawsuit.

I have been reading the debate of wheelbase length for 3.5 years both here and also at www.rv.net.

The general consensus, for those that are safety conscious, is:

1. never exceed manufacturers specifications for any limit
2. long wheel base is better than short wheel base, especially when making a panic stop while towing down hill in an off camber tight turn.

If you predict that you will never make a panic stop then the wheelbase probably does not matter.

I have had to make one near panic stop while towing. It felt to me like I could stop just as fast and safely with the trailer as I would have without the trailer. I am happy with the wheelbase that I have and would not switch to a shorter wheel base unless it had an advantage. I do have a relatively long wheelbase.