TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
FightinIrish

Default 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

We just picked up an 04 2720SL and returned home to Florida from Maryland. Ended up getting just over 15 mpg all the way back and we were making pretty good time. Had to make the trip from Ft Myers to Laurel, MD and back all in 48 hours. We were averaging right at 75 mph the whole way back. Prodigy Brake Controller and a 1000 lb weight distribution hitch by Reese worked great.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Irish,

So if you were "averaging right at 75 mph", what was the fastest speed you went?

I ask because of the maximum speed for Goodyear Marathon's is supposed to be 65 MPH. And your '04 2720SL probably has 4 year old tires...

Others have said here that sustained high speed really is unsafe for these tires.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
mtnguy

Entirely too fast for any trip, but especially for a maiden voyage. Scary!!!

Chap
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Tuscany Bandit

Default Have you lost your mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinIrish View Post
We just picked up an 04 2720SL and returned home to Florida from Maryland. Ended up getting just over 15 mpg all the way back and we were making pretty good time. Had to make the trip from Ft Myers to Laurel, MD and back all in 48 hours. We were averaging right at 75 mph the whole way back. Prodigy Brake Controller and a 1000 lb weight distribution hitch by Reese worked great.

I noticed that you are a "trial member". If you keep towing at that rate of speed (must have been times you were going well over 75 to average 75) you, and whoever else is with you, won't be around long enough to become a Site Sponsor. Your brake controller and weight distribution hitch would be pretty much useless in a panic situation driving at the speed you do.

Think about it...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... pretty much useless in a panic situation ...
I don't mean to pile on, but that is especially true because the FJ is a short wheelbase vehicle at 106 inches. And although it is advertised as having a towing capacity of 5000 pounds, the Toyota web site's LEGAL DISCLAIMER coyly notes that "The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment." In other words, that 5000-pound tow rating is reduced, pound for pound, by the weight of any factory-installed options on the FJ, any after-market options, the weight of the passengers, the weight of any cargo you were carrying in the back seat or the wayback, and even the weight of the hitch and any associated equipment.

I think the conclusion we all are reaching is "Glad you are still with us. You probably shouldn't do that again."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I think the conclusion we all are reaching is "Glad you are still with us. You probably shouldn't do that again."
Bill

Well put Bill. That is why I raised the question in the first place.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
FightinIrish

I do appreciate your posts and concerns. I did realize that we were towing too fast but was kind of against a wall. My wife is a schoolteacher and is limited with vacation time so we planned on leaving florida on friday after work, driving straight through to maryland, 1100 miles, then checking out the TM took a solid two to three hours, hooking it up and heading back to fla in time to go to a concert sunday night. Yep, it was a weary weekend. I don't plan to trailer at those speeds again, it was just due to the time constraints and I realize it is dangerous. Back to 65 MPH right ????? We were packed light, just a cooler, my wife and I and our labrador, one change of clothing and that was it. TM was empty, tanks all empty.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
mtnguy

Good to know that you took no offense to our concerns. We just want every TMer to be as safe as possible, and live to enjoy their unit for many years to come.

Welcome as a new TM owner, and Happy Camping.

Chap
Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
FightinIrish

No offense at all, in fact it is nice to know that strangers are generally concerned for one's safety. Thanks for the welcome and I cant wait to get out and use it. We are scheduling a long weekend at the end of the month at a campground 20 miles from home just so we aren't too far away our first time.