TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Mr. Jan Rooks

Towing with an Odyssey: I am going to buy a used 2720 or a 3023 and pull it with a Toyota Siena. I have a 1980 12' Apache that I pulled thru the rockies with a 3.0 L Plymouth Grand Voyager (140hp) and 3 kids and it weighed 2400# loaded. The only time one is slowed down is going up the mountains. For the extra 5 minutes that going in second gear took, why waste the gas the rest of the time. The 3.0 L (194 hp) Siena gets 21 mph with the Apache, boat and motor and 24 mph without when we go to Florida. It's a vacation, take it easy.
J R in Michigan
Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
RCCBV1

I found that I was not comfortable pulling my 3023 with a Toyota Sienna. I live in Tehachapi CA and found the Sienna to be lacking in enough power to make it from Mojave to Tehachapi with anything available for emergencies. I also found that it seemed to be lacking in directional control in city (Los Angeles) traffic. I decided to upgrade to something that was more than capable of towing the TM I have. The Sequoia (Tundra Frame) works very well. I have towed normal Travel Trailers, and have had less then pleasant experiences that I did not want to repeat with the TM.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jan Rooks
snip... The only time one is slowed down is going up the mountains. ...snip
That depends on what you mean by a mountain. Anything less than 8,000 feet is a foothill.

I like the comfort on knowing that I don't have to worry if I can climb up a dirt road at 8500 feet. But, I have no idea how high the mountains are anywhere east of Denver.

I did slip once in 2 wheel drive. This was pulling out of a campsite into a hard right 90 degree turn up a slope that was 30 degrees of dust and gravel. I'll let someone else figure out what the percent grade was.

Though I have no plans to intentionally camp in the snow, when camping at the end of November in the Sierras, you can get surprised.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jan Rooks
I am going to buy a used 2720 or a 3023 and pull it with a Toyota Siena (194 hp). I have a 1980 12' Apache that I pulled thru the rockies with a 3.0 L Plymouth Grand Voyager (140hp) and 3 kids and it weighed 2400# loaded.
JR - Note that a loaded 2720 will be 1000 pounds heavier (or a bit more) than your Apache. A 3023 will be more than that, of course. And your kids are bigger now ...

And as PopBeavers posted, I don't know where you went in the Rockies, but it is altitude, not grade, that is the killer, because the engine can't breathe. With our 2720SL behind it, my V-8 Explorer (240 hp / 280 lb-ft torque, FWIW) has a tough time above about 8,000 feet. The approach to the west entrance of the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado was a challenge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #15
Debian Dog

I have 240HP and 242 # of torque. I run with my trailer "pretty loaded" since I have to dry camp most of the time and water is a maybe. I have to bring a full tank of water (40 gallons), a generator and fuel(10 gallons).. I have done the biggest mountains on the east coast not sure I would be comfortable doing the Rockies. Especially with a bigger TM.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
GLARNOLD

Default Odyssey Questions

I've been researching this Honda Odyssey issue some and read in a friend's 2007 Odyssey owner's manual they recommend WDH for trailers over 1800#. Also, they deduct 150# per occupant over 1. So, if you're hauling the church choir you got nothing left.

I just towed my new 2720SL home with a Ford Ranger rated at 2600#. Other than sqatting real bad (no WDH) it pulled OK. Wouldn't recommend mountainous terrain, though. The newer Odysseys have 100 HP more than my Ranger so I think they would handle the 2720 pretty well with WDH and dealer installed transmission oil cooler.

I haven't read this anywhere but it seems to me you ought to get some kind of credit for the low wind drag of the TM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
PopBeavers

A wet and loaded 2720 weighs approximately 4,000 pounds, unless you leave the food, clothes, pots and pans at home.

Applying the somewhat popular 80 percent rule, you need a TV with a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. More if you have any passengers and cargo in the TV.