TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Freedom

Here's a spread sheet for figuring out what you can tow with your vehicle:
http://www.popupexplorer.com/files/T...yWorksheet.xls
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Unhappy If you merely want towing in NORMAL traffic conditions,

Then the Minivan might be OK.

Minivan towing during an emergency maneuver? Not with MY family on board.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Walter Roach

Default Small tow vehicle issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Then the Minivan might be OK.

Minivan towing during an emergency maneuver? Not with MY family on board.
While I have no experience with a Toyota Sienna tow rig, I have successfully braked to avoid 3 deer on the roadway, as I came around a down-hill curve in the foothills above Marysville, California. The trailering speedlimit in California is 55, but I had slowed to 45 based on the curve sign's recommendation. I tow a TM 2720SL with a small SUV Saturn Vue V6 3.5L with Prodigy Brake controller and a single-bar WDH without sway bar. I was able to slow enough that the first 2 deer got across in front of me. By the time the 3rd deer darted out, I was even with it, and it hit my driver side door, but without any damage to door or deer. No airbags deployed. Of course, I was lucky, but I was also driving defensively. There was no sway from the trailer, nor any fishtailing, even though I was really pushing in the brake pedal and swerving coming out of the curve. With the Prodigy brake controller, I have never felt the trailer 'pushing' as I was braking, even in emergency mode. Would I have been safer in a Suburban or Ford F350? Sure. Do I feel confident towing with a small SUV? Yes, I do. My gas mileage drops from 22 mpg freeway to 16 mpg when I tow, but the rest of the time I can afford to drive the Saturn Vue as a family car. Our gas prices are about the highest in the nation, by the way.

Walter