TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #21
Scopegeek

Default Follow-up to Towing 3124KB with SportTrac

Just a follow-up after buying a used 3124KB TM for towing with my 2004 SportTrac. The attached pictures show the towing configuration during a recent trip to Yosemite, Cathedral Gorge, and Zion. Although having a 4.6L V8 would be an improvement in towing power, I was quite please with the towing capability of my SportTrac on this trip. The east entrance to Yosemite is at 9,900 feet and my SportTrac pulled the 3124KB up to the entrance at speed limit with little complaint. The only change I will make after this trip is upgrading the electric brake controller for the better quality inertial controller.

I appreciate Bill's words of wisdom concerning the initial consideration of the SportTrac as a TV. With the Weight Distribution Hitch, the SportTrac pulled the TM smoothly and with stability. At no time did I feel I was ever pushing the limit of the vehicle. Even at cruise control around 65mph, the SportTrac handled the load quite well with confidence. In a couple of years, I plan to trade the 2004 for a newer model with the 4.6L V8 engine. The one thing I especially like about the TM is not having to have a larger truck to pull it. With a higher profile trailer, I would have had to purchase an F-250 or F-350. I'm quite pleased.

Rob Lambert
Attached Images