TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
masterge

Default New TM

Folks,

After great pains , research and asking a lot of questions with regards to buying a WDH and Sway Control system, I ended up using the KISS principle (Keep It Sipple Stupid).

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2WD. I bought ball mount with a 3 1/4 inch drop becue the Chevy Av sits a little high. As it turned out, that was the perfect ball mount. However, I needed to invert it as a riser vice drop. Once I did that, it worked fine. The 2 and 1/2 hour drive from Tucson to Phoeenix/Mesa, AZ spanning mountains ranges to around 2K feet went extermely well.

My opinion is that if you have anything equivalent to the towing power of my Avalance, dont worry and don't use WDH or sway control systems. This should include all the full-size V-8 pick-ups & SUVs (except maybe the Tundras [used to have one], V8 Dakotas/Colorados. These vehicles are lighter V8s or are were mainly designed as a V6 but added a V8 upgrade option. Th Tundra may cause some hate and discontent but it was mainly designed for speed and drive vice a true towing workhorse. I beleive Toyota is changing this and making it a true workhorse with there 2007 line.

Anhow, like anything else in life my first lesson learned is don't complicate the towing unless you have to. I'm glad I waited to see how it handled with just a plan 'ole inverted 3 1/4 drop Reese ball mount. Oh yeah, the Prodigy controller worked great. As a matter of fact, my walk-thru guy commented nice controller, you bought the best.

Hope this helps anyone having the pre-delivery/buying concerns that I was having.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

George -

Wow! When did they install mountain ranges between Tucson and Phoenix?

Seriously, I'm glad the towing went well. Next, try I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and let us know how the section through the Verde Valley around Camp Verde goes. Your Avalanche should do well there, too, but this section is a better test of upgrade towing performance and downgrade braking at mid-altitudes (7K ft).

None of these Interstate experiences tells us anything about the need for a WDH, of course

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

George

I did my usual thing and checked the Avalanche's specs on Consumer Digest's web site. It's a truly robust vehicle weighing 6010lbs and has a front-rear weight distributin of 52/48 -- which means it's 240 lbs heavier on the front axle sitting empty. Hanging 3-400lbs of tongue weight behind the rear bumper obviously gives you a much heavier rear axle (you'd have to weigh it to know how much) but the Avalanche is obviously heavy enough overall to still have good steering response even though it's front is likely lighter when you are towing.

I'm not sure you can compare it to pickups however. CR's specs for the 1500, 4dr Silverado show it as 848lbs heavier on the front axle and the 2500 diesel Silverado as a whopping 1434lbs heavier on the front axle sitting empty. I'm on record here as thinking equal weight front and rear is a good thing but to each his/her own.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote