TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Flycaster

Default marginal receivers?

In contemplating taking delivery of our 3023 in March, it occured to me that, power deficiencies as well as short wheelbase aside, there may be a greater problem with my TV:

My TV is rated at 5000 lbs towable, but has a receiver rated at only 500 lbs. If my 3023 with all the options, packed for a trip, will weight-in at, say, 4000 lbs, then the ideal hitch weight at 15% of trailer weight comes to 600 lbs.

I occurs to me that a WDH adds little safety in this regard since the weight on the ball is actually not reduced. In fact, the WDH actually adds stresses to the receiver by adding higher forces of torc to the receiver's welds, bolts, and sections as the load on the ball is, in part, transfered from the rear springs to the front springs of the TV.

Does anyone have information regarding the loading margins for hitches (or incidental reports of receiver failure)? Given TM's claim that their units can be towed by "mid-sized" SUVs and minivans, I wonder how many softly-sprung TVs are running around with WDHs and ball weights exceeding the receiver manufactures' maximum.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 02-17-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default 500 lb rating is usually for a weight carrying hitch, rating for WDH is higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster
In contemplating taking delivery of our 3023 in March, it occured to me that, power deficiencies as well as short wheelbase aside, there may be a greater problem with my TV:

My TV is rated at 5000 lbs towable, but has a receiver rated at only 500 lbs. If my 3023 with all the options, packed for a trip, will weight-in at, say, 4000 lbs, then the ideal hitch weight at 15% of trailer weight comes to 600 lbs.

I occurs to me that a WDH adds little safety in this regard since the weight on the ball is actually not reduced. In fact, the WDH actually adds stresses to the receiver by adding higher forces of torc to the receiver's welds, bolts, and sections as the load on the ball is, in part, transfered from the rear springs to the front springs of the TV.

Does anyone have information regarding the loading margins for hitches (or incidental reports of receiver failure)? Given TM's claim that their units can be towed by "mid-sized" SUVs and minivans, I wonder how many softly-sprung TVs are running around with WDHs and ball weights exceeding the receiver manufactures' maximum.

Thanks in advance.....
The max tongue weight rating on most Class III receivers is (1) 500 lbs and (2) applies when the receiver is used with a weight carrying (weight bearing) hitch. In most cases (not always), the receiver manufacturer specifies a considerably higher rating if a weight distributing hitch is used.

For instance, the Jeep I used to tow my TM with had an OEM Class III hitch receiver that was rated at 500 lbs max tongue weight (w/weight bearing hitch) and 750 lbs (w/weight distributing hitch). The Class IV hitch receiver on my Tundra can handle roughly a 750 lb tongue weight with a weight carrying hitch and about 1100 lbs with a weight distributing hitch (actual weights vary slightly depending on other truck equipment).

In every case I've seen, the bold print on the hitch receiver regarding max tongue weight is for a weight carrying hitch...but there's some fine print elsewhere on the receiver that lists a substantially higher number if a WDH is used.

So I'd conclude that use of a WDH does result in a big increase in towing capacity/towing safety.

And I've never heard of any receiver failures...they're certainly not common.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote