TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Johndeeder

Default single bar wdh

I have a 2619 TM. I am pulling it with a 2002 Town and County 3.8l Chrysler.
I want to put a single bar WDH on the trailer. My question is , will the single bar clear the center positioned jack stand. They say they are contured to do this but I don't see how.
Help.
Tennessee camper
Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndeeder
I have a 2619 TM. I want to put a single bar WDH on the trailer.
Tennessee camper
Um, OK John. What is the weight rating of the proposed hitch? The ones I have seen are barely adequate to the task - like 400 pounds.

The TM web site gives the tongue weight of a DRY 2619 as 351 pounds. DRY means no factory options (no air conditioner, no awning, no TV antenna, no swing tongue, etc), and no owner-added stuff - no water, no propane, no food, no clothes, no microwave, no dishes, no bedding, no TV, no nuthin'. Most folks add this stuff, and the tongue weight goes well over 400 pounds. My advice is to make sure your hitch is rated for at least 600 pounds.

I have no idea how the bar clears the jack, but someone on this board will answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

We used a single-bar 400/4K WDH for three years and about 20,000 miles with our Honda Odyssey/2619 combination and had no clearance or other issues. The bar is not only curved but passes under the fully retracted (wheel-removed) jack. Our 2619 has few extras however and we traveled lightly loaded. If you already have the WDH I wouldn't discourage you from using it. If not, I agree with Bill that something a little stronger will expand your options. We moved to a 600-6000 when we traded for the Tundra. I wouldn't go much heavier than 6-700lbs however with a unit-body TV. Although I don't agree with those who see unit body vehicles as likely to be damaged from towing with a WDH, (and have never heard of it happening with any of today's unit bodies - has anyone?) I see no need to go bigger than needed for a WDH.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Johndeeder

Default Johndeeder

Frank and Bill,
Thanks for the information. I'm milling it over now.
Thanks again