TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Tow Mirror jiggle

OK, how do we get the Mckesh tow mirrors to stay adjusted? No matter how tight they are when we start out, they are jiggling and all out of whack within just a few miles. This is frustrating, annoying and nausea inducing all at once. I now recall that my dad fixed this with globs of epoxy on the screw holes, but I also recall that didn't work. You'd have thought this would be fixed in the intervening years, but we sure haven't sussed it out yet. Any ideas?
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
BobRederick

Carol,

I have a set of the McKesh mirrors and they hardly move. You do have to be careful to not slam the doors too hard. I followed suggestions and have them working great on my 2nd trip.

Take the strap out of the straight-down hole and run it around the inside edge of the frame. That puts the strap up against the door and it won't hum to you all the way there & back. Do it on both sides. Have the twist knobs pointing to the rear of the TV.

There are several screws to tighten and you didn't mention where the loose joint is.
a) Torque the wing-nuts for the strap about as tight as you can get them without a tool. This also helps keep the window from catching the mirror when you close the window.
b) The square shaft that moves the mirror in and out needs to be tightened down tight with a screwdriver. It doesn't need to move after it is initially set.
c) The nut below the mirror where it goes thru the aluminum bar needs to be tightened with a wrench. It doesn't need to be adjusted but can work loose and cause movement, both jiggle and rotation.
d) The screws that tighten on the ball mount at the bottom of the mirror need to be tweeked so that you can move the mirror to adjust it but it doesn't move very easily.

I hope this helps. The mirrors I took off were 10X worse than the McKesh. They were strapped to the OEM mirrors and liked to work their way off enroute. So I would see them coming loose and want to grab them.... not good. Also, they jiggled so badly I could hardly make out the road behind.

Hope you get them adjusted to your liking. These McKesh are great!

Bob
Old 05-10-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
amp17408

Default Towing Mirrors

I had a set of mirrors that strapped onto the fenders and they jiggled all over the place. You felt like you were drunk or somethine. I don't know what you're towing with, but I tow with a 2002 Tahoe and I've since bought a set of mirrors that slide right over my existing mirrors (no tools required, not glue, etc). They're great and do not jiggle at all. I forget where I got them, but here's a website that has them, and they're very reasonable. http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/towingmirrors.html

Happy camping!