TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Gwenzilla

Default Cross safety cables or not

Our 2619 came with sprial safety cables instead of chains. When we picked up the TM from the dealer his mechanic said that the sprial cables do not have to be crossed (which is pretty much contrary to the common practice of crossing safety chains under the tongue when towing). Is there a reason why these sprial cables shouldn't be crossed? Is it safe to just connect them straight?
BTW on another subject... is it ok to hook the emergency brake switch break away cable to the same connection the sprial cables are hooked on at the receiver?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Cross safety cables or not

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=1;threadid=2135;start=msg14851#msg14851 date=1089918098]
Our 2619 came with sprial safety cables instead of chains. When we picked up the TM from the dealer his mechanic said that the sprial cables do not have to be crossed (which is pretty much contrary to the common practice of crossing safety chains under the tongue when towing). Is there a reason why these sprial cables shouldn't be crossed? Is it safe to just connect them straight?[/quote]
Safety cables should be crossed just like safety chains.
Quote:
BTW on another subject... is it ok to hook the emergency brake switch break away cable to the same connection the sprial cables are hooked on at the receiver?
The break away cable should not be connected to the hitch ball, hitch drawbar or the safety chain/cable connection point.

Reference these two sites:

Classic Trailers - Safety/Owners Manual
www.classicmfg.com/contents.htm#2

RVAlliance America - Insurance coverage for RV Enthusiasts
www.rvaa.com/newsletters/drivesaf.jsp

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=1;threadid=2135;start=msg14851#msg14851 date=1089918098]
Our 2619 came with sprial safety cables instead of chains. When we picked up the TM from the dealer his mechanic said that the sprial cables do not have to be crossed (which is pretty much contrary to the common practice of crossing safety chains under the tongue when towing). Is there a reason why these sprial cables shouldn't be crossed? Is it safe to just connect them straight?
[/quote]

Just for future reference, only take about 1/2 of what David tells you as fact..the rest is his own interpretation of reality....if you ask him about the cables, he will only have seen one other TM with the cables crossed.

As for mine I don't cross them, but it is personal preference even though it is recommended that you do so that way if the hitch should come off the ball, it won't hit the ground and flip the trailer.

So, how do you like your TM so far??

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
kidsplayhouse

We recently picked up our new 2720. It has the same type cables. The mechanic told us to cross them for the above mentioned reason (to keep the hitch from hitting the ground in the unlikely event it came apart). We cross them.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

I stopped crossing the cables after I realized they were too long to stop the trailer tongue from dragging on the ground in the advent of a disconnect (crossed or not). Cables are generally stronger than chain, but I'm not sure how you can readily adjust cables as you can with chain, or if there are other reasons for crossing beyond "dragging".

K-
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
Gwenzilla

[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=1;threadid=2135;start=msg14857#msg14857 date=1089923929]

So, how do you like your TM so far??

Larry
[/quote]

In spite of having many problems with our new TM I still feel relatively good (for now) about purchasing it.
It is an exceedingly long story of problems, errors, miscommunications, and lack of attention to detail.... the TM is currently back at the dealers awaiting parts. We have not been able to manage to fit in a short shakedown campout, so we are going to go to our first vacation campground outing in a couple of weeks and pray everything goes right. That is IF we get the TM back from the dealer by then!
Hopefully I'll have a positive report to share then.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=1;threadid=2135;start=msg14966#msg14966 date=1090308959]

In spite of having many problems with our new TM I still feel relatively good (for now) about purchasing it.
It is an exceedingly long story of problems, errors, miscommunications, and lack of attention to detail.... the TM is currently back at the dealers awaiting parts. We have not been able to manage to fit in a short shakedown campout, so we are going to go to our first vacation campground outing in a couple of weeks and pray everything goes right. That is IF we get the TM back from the dealer by then!
Hopefully I'll have a positive report to share then.
[/quote]

I am so sorry to hear that you are having issues. I can imagine how frustrating that can be. If there is anything that I can do to help out let me know. I have a fairly good relationship with Stan (the owner) and if you haven't spoken to him yet, it might help (A LOT).

I know that once you start using the TM you will be as hooked as I am, and I hope that the experience begins very soon!!

Hang in there!!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:55 PM   #8
jniles

I agree with Larry. Every time I get ready to go out and see all the little stuff falling off or damaged from the initial lousy prep I get so mad at the trailer I can't stand it. Then when we get to the campground and set up you just can't help but love it.