TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Expert info on changing tire size and type

In a recent issue of RVTravel.com, there appeared an article by Roger Marble, acknowledged and experienced tire expert for the RV industry, regarding different types of tires, and causes of tire failures. This is a frequent topic of discussion on this forum, but none of us has any real knowledge of the topic.

Roger's article is titled Changing tires on a trailer - NEW load capacity requirement. With the permission of both RVTravel.com and Roger Marble, I have copied the article into the Trail Manor Technical Library (Trail Manor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else) at the top of this forum. Find it at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18853

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Hate to sound like a broken record but ST tires are "different" and have not seen a P or LT tire with a cap or overlay.

For my 2720SL I was disturbed by the two-sticker two step issued by TM so changed up to 15x6" wheels and ST205x75R15 LRD tires with overlay. This gave me a tire/well load range of 4300 lbs well over the 3500 lb axle ratio even at 110%.

Note: axle load is GVWR - tongue weight (435 lbs) = 3782 which is why I usually tow with near empty fresh water tanks (200 lbs) and do not carry rocks. Is also why I do not want to transfer any weight onto the axle which I consider the limiting factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nother2sticker.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	16539   Click image for larger version

Name:	plies.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	16541   Click image for larger version

Name:	weightstickerno.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	16542  
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Hate to sound like a broken record but ST tires are "different" and have not seen a P or LT tire with a cap or overlay.

For my 2720SL I was disturbed by the two-sticker two step issued by TM so changed up to 15x6" wheels and ST205x75R15 LRD tires with overlay. This gave me a tire/well load range of 4300 lbs well over the 3500 lb axle ratio even at 110%.

Note: axle load is GVWR - tongue weight (435 lbs) = 3782 which is why I usually tow with near empty fresh water tanks (200 lbs) and do not carry rocks. Is also why I do not want to transfer any weight onto the axle which I consider the limiting factor.

Sorry to contradict but now a days many P and LT tires do have what in the industry called a "strip" of Nylon which covers and supports the belt edges. There are advantages to this method over a full width "cap". A problem with the sidewall material list is that the Nylon cap only has to be in the center of the tread. A 2" wide cap is sufficient to allow the material to be listed even if there is no coverage of the belt edges. I have seen this construction during cut tire inspections.

You may be able to rely on tire company literature that shows the Cap as full width or literature that shows the two strips in diagrams as to advertise this feature but not have it in the tire would constitute false advertising. Ask the salesperson if they guarantee the strips are there or that the cap is "full width". If the hem and haw then maybe you need to consider a different brand.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Mine just says "Nylon Overlay Construction In 15”&16” Sizes For Superior Strength And Extreme Durability In Higher Load Applications".

Is an "overlay" different from a "strip" ? YWTK.