TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Philip

Default Self Adjusting Brakes

I don't know about anyone else but I found it to be a pain to properly adjust the brakes on my 2008 2720 TM. As such I tend to not do it as frequently as required with the attendant reduction in braking power. Once when I decided to replace my brake shoes & electric brake pads I decided it was a good time to replace the brake system with the self adjusting brake system Dexter offers. It is a completely mechanical system and is compatible with Dexter brake systems. The only difficult part of the job is unbolting the old braking system mounting plate from its backing plate. My bolts were very tight and the small bolt heads on the backing plate were round and hard to get a vise grip on to hold while unbolting. Bolting the new braking system on is very easy as it fits exactly where the old one did.

I also suspect that improper brake adjustment causes the electric brake connector pads to wear out swiftly since they are constantly calling for more power to actuate the poorly adjusted brakes in order to provide the braking the brake controller is calling for. Not sure about this but my electric connector pads were severely worn but my brake shoes had more than 50% of their life left.

I presently have approx. 30,000 miles on the new system and braking has remained even and constant.

Take care,

Phil

TM - 2008 2720, 15" Wheels, Two 4D Lifeline AGM Batteries, Linklite Battery Monitor, Self Adjusting Brakes.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
firemancjr

Part numbers? Distributor or retailer that carries them? Cost?
firemancjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Default Electric brakes

We just finished putting theses on our 05 2619 . Will send a pic of what we installed . They were a perfect fit and everything came with it , did not have to purchase extra parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	14800  
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We installed them about two years ago. Very easy to install. Slight adjustment when installed. Sever youtube instructions on installing them. I think they were by etrailer.

Same experience once installed of consistent braking. Re-adjusted the gain on brake controller when installed and shoes were broken in. After that never touch the gain. I would think its been 15K miles plus.

We bought our two sets at etrailer for around $90 total. Took about 2 1/2 hours to install along with repacking the bearings. You need a right and left side set. I also bought new nuts and new adjuster covers.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote