TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Default Initial impressions (2016 Durango as Tow Vehicle)

Well, we finally did it. We took the Durango and TM to Flagstaff for a weekend. My initial impression... I am impressed. The Durango has MORE than enough power to tow the 3124. We were able to climb the mountains to Flagstaff without issue (often passing others). As we opened up the 5.7, gas mileage suffered a bit (averaged around 15.5 mpg), but it chugged along just as happy as can be.

The zf transmission (8-speed, no tow/haul mode) was buttery smooth. There have been reports of people not being happy with the transmission (always seems to be hunting for the right gear). I can say that was not my experience. I simply set the cruise for 65mph and the transmission always found the right gear for the current conditions. If it was down in 5 or 4 to maintain speed while climbing a grade, once the grade had been summitted, the transmission slipped back into 8 and cruised along. On the downslope, the transmission downshifted to maintain speed (and kept it within 4 - 5 mph of the set speed -rarely saw a speedometer reading over 68-69 mph).

The Self-leveling rear shocks did their job quite nicely as well. I did not have the WDH set up exactly where it needed to be (was a touch low). After a few miles, the rear ride height was restored and the trailer was level. Once that weight was removed (we were uncoupled), the Durango settled back down to level again.

Hooking up the brake controller was fairly easy (once I released the connector from under the dash). Dodge included a pigtail to wire to the controller (and though the color scheme did not match, hookup was fairly easy).

Anyone know what size coupler was used on the 3124kb (06)? I seem to have a bit of play on a 2" ball...

-Ronnie

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Question

What is the towing capacity of the Durango?
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Default towing capacity

the v6 (with tow package) will do 6,200lbs. the hemi (with tow) will do 7,400 (though the AWD drops it to 7,200lbs.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The Dodge Durango is a longer version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have the 2015 6-cyl with the class IV tow package, with the strange contributions of Fiat having bought Chrysler: a Mercedes-designed chassis and a Porsche-designed 8-speed transmission in a relatively economical US-manufactured vehicle. AWD rather than 4WD (meaning no transaxle shifter). Fluidic level-equalizing shocks.

Tows my 3023 so well I can forget it's there. I turn off eco-mode so that it starts from 1st gear instead of 2nd. When I don't forget. I am using a Blue Ox WDH with 550 lb bars.

Got over 18 MPG heading from Ashland, OR to Chico, CA the other day. Got 17.4 MPG on average for a big loop from the SF Bay up to Oregon on the coast and then back through the central valley. I often get worse mileage driving without the trailer, I guess because I go faster, but it gets about 20 mpg if I don't speed or run air conditioning. Also, the trailer might take the load off of the alternator - it's got 400 watts of solar panels running back there.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Hi Bruce, the RT has a 2-speed transfer case (AWD Hi / Low), with a second round selector knob just in front of the console. I've only spent but a few moments in low (playing around), and have yet to need it for any condition I've experienced.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo628 View Post
Hi Bruce, the RT has a 2-speed transfer case (AWD Hi / Low), with a second round selector knob just in front of the console. I've only spent but a few moments in low (playing around), and have yet to need it for any condition I've experienced.
You would only need low for off-road. If your transaxle goes to neutral you can tow the vehicle itself on its wheels, if not you must lift all 4 wheels.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #7
Skyjim73

My experience with the ZF 8 speed behind the 3.0 turbodiesel in my Ram 1500 has been much the same - very impressed! Keeps the engine near the 2000 rpm torque peak under most conditions - downgrades being the exception. On longish descents, seems to sense both the incline and the throttle lift and brief brake applications, and quickly moves to drop a gear or two (or maybe three!) to help hold speed in the range it thinks you want. So far I like the programming very much. No tendency to overspeed, though I have not yet done any extremely steep descents from real altitude. I have played with the button shifters a bit, but have found that so far the trans programming makes it more a vanity exercise than anything else. Tow/haul works well!

As an old muscle car driver, and moving from an 8 liter V-10 to the little Ecodiesel, its a little bit of a slug as boost builds right off the line, but those 420 lb/feet are available from 1900 rpm on up and long tows feel effortless. And on flat ground towing the TM at 65 or so it cracks 22 mpg hand-calculated. I never saw better than 15 with the V-10, and that was doing a very sedate 55-60. Speed up just a bit and throw in any grades, and the V-10 would tow at around 8-10 mpg on a good day! The vast gear spread and smart programming of the 8 speed are crucial. I imagine that it is a very fun powertrain with the 5.7 Hemi!
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

And another joins the ranks. For the curious the drivetrains and tow ratings of the Ram (pickup), Grand Cherokee (mid-sized 2 seat SAV), and Dodge Durango (3 seat) are about the same.

I have the '12 version with 290hp gas V6 and five speed. Mid-20s on the road without trailer and 17-18 with.

Are several 4WD/AWD options so depends on what you want and how much you want to pay. Prices (new) range from upper 20s (Laredo) to upper 60s (SRT with 6.4 liter Hemi) Mine is the lightest 2WD version (4475 lbs with trailer towing package) and all I have needed for the 2720SL.

My understanding is that this is the last year for the Merc chassis and while there were some hiccups when major changes came out, everything is pretty stable now.

So IMNSHO the best tow car I've ever had and something you don't mind flipping the fobic (no key) to a parking attendant at a nice restaurant (see "restaurant row, Orlando", about 4 miles south of my house...)

OTOH all are somewhat behind the curve relative to technology. I feel engines like the Ford 3.5 (not the 2.7) Ecoboost with a boosted, direct injection, DOHC gas engine is the Next Big Thing.

Why would take a few hours.