TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
Which brings up a point. IF I replace should I also replace the spare? Never been put on a axle. I would ONLY use it as a spare...
I am going to replace my tires this summer, and I am going to ask the dealer if he'll take my spare and give me some sort of credit for it. It also hasn't seen the ground. If he doesn't, I'm thinking I'll adopt a policy of changing out the spare every other time I replace the axle tires (which I normally do every ~3 years).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
ragmopp

Thanks everyone, I think I will keep the spare and just use it to get to a shop if I do have a blowout. I purchased all three tires at the same time in 09 and the date code was 08 (if I remember correctly).

Interesting, I went to a local dealer to check on pricing and I mentioned the tires were good (treadwise) but 5 or 6 years old. HE said the standard in the industry is 8 years. I am taking that with a grain of salt as most all the members here feel that is just too long...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
bayoubill

I worked for the corporate office of BFGoodrich in the 80's. The industry standard then for tires was 6 years. I don't think it has changed. I definitely would replace your tires if you live in a warm climate every 6 years.
bayoubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
hoverlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I think a steel wire broke in the belt and the belt shifted. One down side to radial tires. But you did not have a blowout. We have had that same problem with two different Michelin tires, one on my Van and the other on the DW car. Potholes did it.

I would buy maxxis, but never found a tire shop that stocks them. Not too good if on a trip if you need a tire? One thing is for certain with a trailer: it's not if your will lose a tire? But when?

We have been lucky. We have not been on the side of the road changing tires since the 90's. We have had some tires go bad that we caught when inspecting them.

I have had very good luck with Goodyears and they are available across the county at tire shops. Goodyears seems to have had a bad spell ending about 3-4 years ago that lasted about 3 years. But I'm not hearing the issues for tires made during the last 3-4 years or before that spell.

I know there has been problems with goodyears on the TM form. But did TM every make a camper without Goodyear's. So any problem with original TM tires are going to be goodyears? It seems to me that all trailers forms talk about tires problems.

Kumho, I have heard good things about. But can not get past thinking of them a bicycle tires.

I think that is what failed...a wire, or wires in the belt. I neglected to check the inside when the tire was off the rim before shipping back to Tire Rack, but the outside tread for about 100 degrees of the tire was pinched so the tire walls in that area were closer together than the rest of the tire and the tread in that area was bubbled up.
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
eddugo

Just wondering if U-Haul has tire problems and what kind of tires they use......................
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I had head of many people that had flats with uhaul. Not sure what tires they use, but I do remember when I rented one they were beefy looking tires. I would assume the tires are rated for a very high load.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #17
3flats15oomiles

I lost 3 Kumho's in 1500 miles with no more than 2500 on any.
My big problem is that they blew out the wheel wells and I want to know how difficult it is to change out to new factory wells.
Has anyone done it?
Are there hidden difficulties?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Do you have the square or round wheel wells? I think 2003 was the changing year.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddugo View Post
Just wondering if U-Haul has tire problems and what kind of tires they use......................
We rented a U-Haul last year to move our daughter. All different brands on the trailer but none older then two years old. No spare, they give you an 800 number to call.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
davlin
TrailManor Master

Roger that on the checking the date. People just can't accept that an ST tire goes bad with age, regardless of the mileage. I used to push mine to 6 years, but now I'm more comfortable at 5 years. And yes, they look "brand new" when I replace them.

I've had really good luck so far with my Carlisle's.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote