TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
argheebe

Default First DS Blowout, First post on forum

So, it comes to this: Thank goodness for this forum!
I had my first driver side blowout in the mountains in Colorado on I-70 just east of the Eisenhower Tunnel.
Interesting experience.
Luckily I was in the right lane and there was enough shoulder for me to pull over and "deal with it."
Making a long story short, the details are: 2006 TM 2027 SD with 2 1/2 lift. Wheels are 14" 5 bolt; tires - Towmaster Trailer Radials ST215/75R14 4 ply C rating. The tires are relatively new (March 2013) with close to 4500 miles on them.
Tire pressure 50#, speed at time of blowout approx 60-65mph (uphill)
No excessive load(s) to speak of. No water in any of the tanks.

The tire was shredded, the rim was damaged (had to roll on it for a short distance), the clean-out plumbing was destroyed and is somewhere on I-70; the wheel-well cover is gone, somewhere on I-70
...lots of sparks and smoke and a helpful hand by the Colorado State Police.
The weather was very windy and cold and lightly snowing.
My spare was a Goodyear Marathon ST215/75R14 - new.
Changing the damaged wheel with shredded tire was interesting and quite dangerous, to say the least. Thank goodness for the proper tools and the built in leveler jacks.
So, my thinking -- go to a 15" wheel and D rated tire. Recommended tires? I have read just about everything on the Tire, Tire, Tire forum. But, with all due respect, I await some current advice re: tires, wheels, and plumbing (cleanout).

Pictures are attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blown Tire inside.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	9189   Click image for larger version

Name:	blown tire outside.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	9190   Click image for larger version

Name:	destroyed cleanout 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	9191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Destroyed cleanout 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	9192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evidence of Lift 3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	9193  

swing away hitch, Reese WDH
'13 Toyota Tundra 5.8L w/tow pkg
argheebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Scott O

Sorry for your mess, but glad no one was injured. A couple of suggestions which will probably be echoed by others. First, 15" tires are the way to go. Second, be sure to get metal stems. Third, balance the tires. Forth, never drive over 55-60 mph.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Joseph

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum. You will find many different ideas on what kind, size of wheel and tire to install. If I had it to do again I would go with a 15 inch D. Currently running 14 inch D's no issue so far. Sometimes it seems that is no logical reason for tires to pop. They just do. Best of luck to you and welcome to the tire club! Please let us know what route you take.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Ron, very sorry to hear about your adventure! All I can say is "I've been there." In my case, however, I was able to look back at mistakes I made that contributed to the calamity. Based upon what you said, it doesn't seem to me that there was anything you could have done to prevent it. I would concur that Load Range D tires are the way to go. I have no experience with Towmasters so I can't comment on them. I'm running Carlisle Load Range E's, but I have a heavier trailer (3124KS). I'm happy with them....so far.

The one piece of advice I CAN offer, though, is do not trust the tire on the passenger side! Quite a bit of extra stress was put on that tire when you had to tow (a short distance), and I wouldn't take any more trips until you get ALL the tires replaced.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
argheebe

Well, I took action ...researched as best I could and made a decision. I will be going with 3 each (with new wheels) ST225/75R15 E rating Carlisle brand. I have no illusions and will keep you all posted as time rolls on.
Insofar as the outside plumbing/cleanouts ...I am still researching that problem.
I did read that it is possible to get that cleanout area protected in some manner -- protection from the Driver Side blowouts, I guess.
So, again, any advice is welcome.
Ron
swing away hitch, Reese WDH
'13 Toyota Tundra 5.8L w/tow pkg
argheebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
MisterP

Here is one thread that shows various ways to protect the plumbing.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10254
Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Make sure of the date on the new tires. They cost to much to buy something that has been sitting around for 6 months or more. Life of a trailer tire is about 4 years. We took a risk last year and at 4 years and one week old the tire blew out.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by argheebe View Post
Well, I took action ...researched as best I could and made a decision. I will be going with 3 each (with new wheels) ST225/75R15 E rating Carlisle brand. I have no illusions and will keep you all posted as time rolls on.
Ron, that's the same tire I'm using. I've had them for about one year now, and I've got about 2,000 miles on them. So far, so good. The "correct" tire pressure for these is 80 psi, so your tire dealer should have automatically put high pressure (metal) valve stems in the wheels. I actually run mine at 75 psi, which is still well within the load limits needed for my axle weight, and gives me a little bit softer ride for the TM.

Keep us posted on how well you like the Carlisle's.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
rumbleweed

Ask the dealer to call you with the tire date code before mounting. Distributors will not take them back after mounting. If not less than a few months old ( your call) have dealer return them.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Consider getting a tire pressure monitoring system. Shortly I after I installed ours, I had a dual blowout. I credit the system with alerting me before the tire shredded and caused all the subsequent damage.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote