TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
dandygirl

Default recirculating toilet

My TrailManor has a recirculating toilet in it and it doesn't matter how much chemicals I put in it. It still smells. I don't use it very often. Is there something else I can do or is there a better toilet I can replace it with? My trailer is a 2008 2720.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
TM_Matt

May be a lame question but are you certain offending odors are not coming from the plumbing? Dried out P traps can let in all kinds of horrid smells. As much as the recirc is the "commode I love to hate", it really doesn't smell that much when we use as instructed. It's of limited help because I can't remember the name - but I believe there is a slightly stronger Thetford chemical that either Thetford recommends or people at this site recommend to break down solids more completely. Hopefully someone will have that name.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
robertkennel

What chemicals are you using. We use Thetford chemicals (formadahyde free) and don't have an issue. There are 4 people using the toilet and change water every day. We also rinse the toilet with a full tank of fresh water after draining the black water. robert

The last camping trip only one chemical was available and it was not thetford, the stuff didn't work at all.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
4Kids2Dogs

I also definitely recommend using Thetford green. Use the entire recommended amount and add a "Potty Toddy" tablet. You can buy those at Camping World - they also have an online store. When it is hot, you may need to add more Potty Toddy tabs if you have an odor issue. Do not forget to put the lid down after each use and flush a long time (maybe count to 10), not just briefly. Leave the lid down unless using.

When we first started out, we used a pre-packaged chemical powder that absolutely did not work. I was really grossed out and didn't even want to use the commode until I found that the Thetford/PottyToddy chemical mix really works.
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Scott O

How often do you dump? If not fairly frequently, less than a week (others please chime in) it will smell. The Thetford is not made for storage. Nor is the gray water tank, as mentioned above. In our experience, it works very well. Dump often, clean often, add proper chemicals, and it will not smell.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We are one of the minority in the fact that when we purchased our TM we fully intended on using the Bath Room because we are somewhat Germa-Fobes.

We have only used two chemicals so far:

1. Thetford Supreme Green: In a word = Awesome Product but recently discontinued :-(

No Smell & Great Digester

2. Odorlos which was a major disappointment & we returned unused portion the Camping world for a Refund.

3. We will be trying Walex ExOdor Porta-Pak this week which is supposed to be better than Thetford wish us luck.

Now there is only 3 of us & we empty every other day on average (longest time was 3 days) with full use & rarely smell anything. Also we always run multiple fill & dumps on the last day finishing with one last charge for the return trip which we find helps with digesting anything left over with the sloshing motion while traveling. We also always cover toilet opening with thick plastic for possible over splash.

Side Note I was very lucky over winter because I forgot to empty toilet so it was fully charged all winter with no Damage to any part. Seems like no matter how many list I make I manage to forget something while winterizing.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Post Use Thetford

We have tried other ("earth-friendly") products, and we keep coming back to the Thetford products. Also, Potty-Toddy tabs do help. I agree with the posting that says to flush for more than a few seconds and to empty and re-charge the toilet after a few days - especially in very hot weather. And, use the fan when using the toilet and close the lid when you are done.

Happy camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Can I use Potty Toddy tabs with both the blue and green Thetford products?
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Scott O

I don't know why not...I have done it without issue. Although I will say that the green Thetford seems to not mask the odor nearly as well as the blue whether I use the tabs or not. I need to dump the green after 3 or so days, while the blue will go a couple of days longer.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I also use the Thetford formaldehyde free product. I have tried the one with formaldehyde and did not notice any difference.

I also use the Potty-Toddy tablets. Always at least one. If it is hot out (90+) I will add 2 or 3 more.

We use the campground restrooms during the day. Besides that we are sometimes gone all day any way.

Keep the seat down.

I have never had an odor problem.