TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Troglodyte

Default Planning our first major trip

Hello all- This is my first post while I wait for the Sponsorship check to clear. We are picking up our brand new 2922KB next month and have started planning our first big trip...CT to Disney down the coastal roads(Route attached). We are backpackers who have aged beyond the comfort of the ground and graduated to our new TM but have no RV style camping experience. Our plan takes us down the path less traveled staying in state, county and national parks and then Fort Wilderness of course. The northbound trip will follow the western path to NC and the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games then up the Blue Ridge to 77 and 81 but I haven't planned that yet. We will be learning a lot between April and July on shorter weekend trips so hopefully will have a nice two week excursion. We'd love to have input on the route and tips to help us enjoy the experience with our 5 and 7 YO boys. This forum has been a wonderful resource so far. I hope to post updates along the way so stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBRoute.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	8190  
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Scott O

My only suggestion would be to complete a weekend trip first, as you mentioned you will do. And do it close to home or better yet, close to your dealer. You don't want your first learning experience to be on a long trip...and this would allow you to find and fix the little gremlins that often pop up on your new popup!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Troglodyte

Thanks for the reply Scott. We have a 3 night excursion planned 15 minutes from our dealer to try everything out. Then we will do at least 2 more weekend trips in April and May and probably 'camp out' on our farm for a few days while we organize everything. Hopefully that will get us familiar enough but I'm sure we will continue to learn for quite some time.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
Thanks for the reply Scott. We have a 3 night excursion planned 15 minutes from our dealer to try everything out. Then we will do at least 2 more weekend trips in April and May and probably 'camp out' on our farm for a few days while we organize everything. Hopefully that will get us familiar enough but I'm sure we will continue to learn for quite some time.
Sounds like your doing the right thng. And I like the idea of at least 2 trys. You should be really ready for the long trip.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

make sure to head down to the beach before 9- the lighted parade on the water is nice and will go right by you-you can also see the fireworks and its a short walk back to your camper with young ones
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Troglodyte

Hikerz- Is that at Fort Wilderness? I knew about the fireworks but I haven't heard anything about the parade. I haven't been to Disney since I was 5 and I really don't want to admit how long ago that was.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
TMkev10

Looking at your route, it look like you are looking to go through the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel. I don't think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can go that way with your TM due to the LP bottles. Just a thought.

2011, 2720
2011 GMC Acadia AWD
TMkev10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I wondered about that, too, so I checked the web site for the Bridge Tunnel. The full answer is found here http://www.cbbt.com/gas.html

Short summary - no problem, as long as they are turned off.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Troglodyte

Thank you both for picking up on that. I ran the route by my dealer and she told me it was OK on that bridge/tunnel system. Another thing she pointed out was LP bottles are only allowed on the upper deck of the GW Bridge in Manhattan. I usually end up on the lower deck so that was a good wakeup call...one that ultimately caused me to check all of the other bridges and tunnels we might be going through and the Blue Ridge Parkway rules as well. This is exactly why I posted the route for feedback. I really appreciate the knowledge this group shares. -Chris
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Scott O

You sound amazingly prepared, having thought of most everything. I anticipate that the trip will go very well!