TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

Default Our New 2720SL! (problem with radio antenna?)

Hello,

My name is Vince and my wife and I live in CT and we just picked up our 2720SL from MCD in Hyannis MA.

We have the camper setup in the driveway for now while we outfit with the basics before our first trip Memorial day weekend.

We were a bit disappointed in the somwhat dirty appearance of the interior and will have to do some serious cleaning before we load things .

Question, after installing the radio and fixing the poor connections at the speakers, I find that I am unable to tune ANY AM stations and very few FM stations. I tried disconnecting the antenna and it did make it even worse so I am getting some effect.

Any thoughts on why the antenna is so poor at receptioin? Where we live, I get plenty of stations using our car radios.

Thanks!

Vince
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Picked Up our New 2720SL!

Just a stab in the dark, but might it have anything to do with the way your TM is parked? May be an issue with how the TM antenna is oriented with respect to buildings etc. Our TM in the driveway has the antenna facing the garage. The radio antenna is also powered so you should see an LED light on it even when the TM not on shore power -- if not that may be the problem.

Congrats on the pickup! I'm guessing you will enjoy your TM as much as we do.

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Just returned from looking for this LED light. I remember seeing it at the RV show, but I don't see it lit on ours. Its dark outside and I climbed up a ladder to look for it, found the antenna, but no light. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Vince

[quote author=Kevin R link=board=1;threadid=1901;start=msg13468#msg13468 date=1083730885]
Just a stab in the dark, but might it have anything to do with the way your TM is parked? May be an issue with how the TM antenna is oriented with respect to buildings etc. Our TM in the driveway has the antenna facing the garage. The radio antenna is also powered so you should see an LED light on it even when the TM not on shore power -- if not that may be the problem.

Congrats on the pickup! I'm guessing you will enjoy your TM as much as we do.

Kevin

[/quote]
Old 05-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
live2shopnc

I have not looked but I don't remember anything about a light on the radio antenna. Where is it? I know the tv antenna has one.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

[quote author=live2shopnc link=board=1;threadid=1901;start=msg13481#msg13481 date=1083806190]
I have not looked but I don't remember anything about a light on the radio antenna. Where is it? I know the tv antenna has one.
[/quote]

The antenna itself (at least on mine) is on the back edge of the upper front moving roof/wall. I recall seeing a green light right on the antenna itself (nothing visible from inside the camper like with the TV antenna).

Vince
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Our New 2720SL! (problem with radio antenna?)

Vince,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, and I think we are, the radio antenna (not Television) on our 2004 TM is the black plastic strip just over a foot long on the lip of the upper shell of the TM. Ours has a small red LED light (I just checked ours again) glowing and our TM has not been on shore power for weeks.

If you are close to the dealer where you bought the TM, I’d go/call there first and ask why the antenna is not powered as it should be; seems like something the dealer should address. If you want to troubleshoot it yourself there is a post somewhere on this forum where someone had the power to the antenna tied into the radio feature that raises and lowers retractable car antennas so that the power to the antenna was only on when the radio was on. There may be some info there that helps, but I think you have found the problem if the LED on the antenna strip is dead. Someone else on this forum my have more specific advice on where to head with this (be prepared to get out your multimeter or buy one if you don’t have one and want to go this route! ;D ).

Kevin
Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Kevin R link=board=1;threadid=1901;start=msg13485#msg13485 date=1083820056]
Vince,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, and I think we are, the radio antenna (not Television) on our 2004 TM is the black plastic strip just over a foot long on the lip of the upper shell of the TM. Ours has a small red LED light (I just checked ours again) glowing and our TM has not been on shore power for weeks.

If you are close to the dealer where you bought the TM, I’d go/call there first and ask why the antenna is not powered as it should be; seems like something the dealer should address. If you want to troubleshoot it yourself there is a post somewhere on this forum where someone had the power to the antenna tied into the radio feature that raises and lowers retractable car antennas so that the power to the antenna was only on when the radio was on. There may be some info there that helps, but I think you have found the problem if the LED on the antenna strip is dead. Someone else on this forum my have more specific advice on where to head with this (be prepared to get out your multimeter or buy one if you don’t have one and want to go this route! ;D ).

Kevin

[/quote]

We are on the same page. I just spoke to the dealer and the red light SHOULD be on. They have a call into the factory to find out possible things to check in the wiring. I live 2.5 hours from a dealer so I'm trying to avoid bringing it back. I'm a retired Navy electrician so I'm comfortable with this line of work.

Meanwhile, I'm curious if others get decent reception when all is working as intended. I live in SE CT where we have good signal strength for most all local stations.

Vince
Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 PM   #8
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Kevin R link=board=1;threadid=1901;start=msg13485#msg13485 date=1083820056]
Vince,
If you want to troubleshoot it yourself there is a post somewhere on this forum where someone had the power to the antenna tied into the radio feature that raises and lowers retractable car antennas so that the power to the antenna was only on when the radio was on. There may be some info there that helps,
[/quote]

Well, I took your recommendation and found the thread you referred to. I took the outside vent cover off over the reefer and removed the sheet metal over the coils to get to the wiring. Behind the cover there is a 12 ga. blue wire which supplies the power feed to the radio. There is also a smaller, maybe 16 ga. red wire which is SUPPOSED to be spliced with the blue to feed power to the antenna. This red wire is the one that some have suggested moving to be fed from the radios power connector intended for retractable antennas so that the amplified antenna only draws power when the radio is on. Any way, the factory tech apparently opted to NOT SPLICE these leads and instead taped the two wires together as if the lead was a spare. I expect that once I connect this wire all will work as expected.

Maybe the guy who used to do the cable TV coax is now doing the radio wiring? ;D

See next post for picture.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

second attempt on picture
Old 05-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #10
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Great to hear -- I expect you are right about the splice fixing your problem. I don't actually have a radio in our unit so I can't say on radio reception with the power on.

Have a great Memorial Day trip!

Kevin