TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
rickybobby

Default trailer classification

i just bought a 2005 2720 and getting quotes for insurance. i think it is classified as a "travel trailer" vs a "camping trailer". can anyone help me out? i would like to have the camping trailer rate bcuz it is $100.00 less. i've been quoted around $220.00 for camping trailer and $320.00 for TT here in Florida. any info is much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

The TM is considered a self contained RV. You can dry camp with all necessities on board. By this definition it is a travel trailer.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
jellis

I would suggest not trying to get by with the less expensive coverage. These things are based, among other things, on expected replacement/damage payouts in case of accident or theft. If the insurance company thinks they have insured a canvas sided "camping trailer," they're not going to want to pay the replacement cost of a (much more expensive) TM.

We went through this same exercise and, thankfully, said "travel trailer." When our trailer was stolen and trashed, State Farm basically replaced our unit, minus the decuctible, of course.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Read the plate next to the entry door, on the left side. It says Travel Trailer and that is how Virginia's DMV registers TrailManors.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

No one likes to pay more than they have to but it will probably be a bad day if you have to make a claim against your insurance. (unit damaged or stolen). A bad day quickly turns into a terrible day if your insurance suddenly refuses to pay or limits their payout claiming you had the rig incorrectly insured. Don't do that to yourself. List it as a Travel Trailer.
Bill
Old 11-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
PopBeavers

When I called my State Farm agent to insure it, they looked up Trailmanor and it said travel trailer.

I do not know what they looked it up in.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Our TM is insured with State Farm. The manufacturer, model, and price paid for the TM were parts of the application for insurance. The body style is listed on the policy declaration page as TRL TRVL. When the policy was mailed to us, it was accompanied by a check for 20% of what we had paid. My notes of the call to the agent's office re the refund: "20% reduction because it is not a travel trailer; i.e. you cannot step inside it without putting it up."
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Freedom

Our insurance is Mutual of Enumclaw (Washington) and they insure the trailer for what we originally paid for it - we only pay $120 a year for insurance. You might want to check around for other insurance - i.e. Good Sam or AARP. My Jimmy insurance isn't much more than what you were quoted for the TT!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
Our TM is insured with State Farm. The manufacturer, model, and price paid for the TM were parts of the application for insurance. The body style is listed on the policy declaration page as TRL TRVL. When the policy was mailed to us, it was accompanied by a check for 20% of what we had paid. My notes of the call to the agent's office re the refund: "20% reduction because it is not a travel trailer; i.e. you cannot step inside it without putting it up."
By your agent's definition, a HI-LO isn't a travel trailer, either. Our TrailManor is insured with State Farm, too, as a travel trailer (their call, not mine or my agent's). I'd sooner know I've got adequate coverage, than to find out later that I don't because someone was wrong. Notice that your policy says "Travel Trailer," regardless of what your agent - disregarding the policy - told you.

But, that's just my two cents - at best.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #10
rickybobby

Thank you all for responding with very helpful info & advice. I'm going to get more quotes as well as have my St Farm agent research this more with their underwriter.