TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
On side mounted units you need to put a shroud around the unit so that all the hot air coming across the coils is 'piped' to the outside. If you don't do this, the hot air from the coils will be sucked around to the intake on the sides of the unit and just blow hotter air across the coils. It can get so hot that the head pressure on the unit will rise and shut the unit down. The units installed by TM had a piece of sheet metal from one side, over the top, and down the other side. It extended from the unit cabinet to the grille on the side of the trailer.
Aha! I wondered what that strip of metal was intended for!

Even with the 'shroud' in place, I think the side mounted AC is only barely adequate, especially when the outside temperature gets over 85-90º, with like humidity. It's better than having no AC, but I can see why TrailManor started using roof mounted units in 2002 -2003. You gain a cabinet, and get better air circulation too! Next TM will have roof mounted AC
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
mike-rm-cd

Nick: Our '02 2720SD didn't have an A/C. It DID have a beautiful laminate floor, thanks to you. That TM has been sold (by the Auburn Dealer) to a couple in Yakima, who had an A/C installed. On the passenger side, I assume.

Our new 3326K, (roof-mounted A/C) is pretty awesome. In 94 degree temps, it brought inside temp down to 72-74 or so. It IS noisy, mostly with the volume of airflow, forward and back into both ends of the new TM.

We're off tomorrow (10/8) for a month-long trip to OR, CA, and return. We'll report back.

Mike - and thanks for all of your tips and suggestions.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Senorsedona

Thumbs up Cool air

There are advantages to both. In general.....the side mount is quieter and can be run on 20amp. The roof air is more efficent, but is noisier & should be run on 30amp only.
If you can bring the air inside down 20 degrees cooler then the out side, your unit is doing a great job. You really shouldn't expect more.

Have fun.............

Jack
Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-rm-cd View Post
...... It IS noisy, mostly with the volume of airflow, forward and back into both ends of the new TM.
Just my opinion, but I'd put up with the noise, versus the "so so" cooling that my side-mounted unit provides. Guess it depends where you live though, the side mounted units might be OK in a more temperate climate, here in the deep south they don't do the job

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #15
larsdennert

I was in UT over the summer and it was 108. The roof AC brought down the temp into the 70's. Gave the kids a cold.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #16
mike-rm-cd

We have used our roof-mounted A/C only a few times. When we have, it has performed very well, and noisily.

The folks who bought our traded-in, 2720 SD, had the dealer install a side-mounted A/C.

That dealer (Auburn RV, Karen) called (after our order was in) to suggest that maybe we might want to rethink our (my!) decision to NOT have the factory install the roof A/C. Karen said that the last TM they had (new) sat in the dealership for a year, and that it always looked, "forlorn."

In 94 degree weather in Sept, the A/C paid for itself.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #17
Mike V.S.

One thing nobody has mentioned as a side unit advantage is how easy and cheap it is to replace or upgrade. I pulled my factory unit out and put a bigger one in for about $150. There is alot of extra room inside the cabinet area to go bigger. The air flow from the top does sound like an advantage though.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering how much trouble & expense I would have finding a replacement when that day arrives. What did you get, if you don't mind my asking?
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
Mike V.S.

Yes Bill, I put an 8500 BTU General Electric in that I bought from Brandsmart. It has the auto thermostat that shuts on/off automaticly as well as a remote control (needless!) My old unit was 7000 BTU I think and it has made it much cooler. The only extra work was replacing the metal shroud that was talked about earlier, conecting the drain ( a little bit of a headache) and redoing the cosmetic wood trim around the front panel. It was actually pretty easy. There was still some room left inside if I wanted to go bigger.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Mike, was your cabinet around the side A/C irregularly shaped? Mine was angled right towards the back where the vent it, and it took up a lot of room from the cabinet on the right. The outlet was mounted to the cabinet wall. I pulled out the A/C when it died, moved the outlet, and took out the cabinet wall. We just don't need a/c here, but it could easily be replaced.