TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Michael

Question Brochure/Lift Kit

Hello everyone. First post. At a State Park recently, I saw what I found out later to be a "Hi-Lo". I was so intrigued by the concept, I started research online and came across the Trailmanor. I ordered the brochure and to make a long story short, I've put a hold deposit on my local dealer's one and only 2007 2720SD which he received the day I happened to call. My wife and I visit the dealer tomorrow, with a preapproved loan, to see if this is what we really want. After finding this forum, I've become concerned about the conversations relating to the "lift kit". The brochure does not reference the lift kit and according to the brochure, a 2720SD with a low profile air conditioner is 78.75" tall. Since I live in a HOA controlled sub-division, any recreational vehicle must fit in my garage which has 83" of clearance at the top of the door frame. Forgive the newbie question and I'll take my tape measure tomorrow but does anyone know if the lift kit is "standard" now since it isn't listed in brochure? If it really is an option, would anyone know of any other unpublished options I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
pbuck1

I doubt the lift kit is standard.
In any case, if the absence of a lift kit mention in the brochure means it is standard, then it would be reasonable to assume that the height specification in the same brochure would account for it.
The lift kit adds 2 inches to the height so even with 78 3/4" plus lift kit, you would still be under 83"
I think you're OK.

-Paul
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 cleas the door by 3/8 inch. The door is 82 1/2 inches. I have the lift kit and the roof mounted air conditioner.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Michael -

The lift kit is not "standard", but in some parts of the country (the west, at elast), it is a "standard option". When I visited the factory a year ago, the engineer I talked to told me that they routinely put the lift kit on all campers bound for "the west", since they are nearly universally wanted in that region.

As others have mentioned, it sounds like you are OK either way, but if you positively do not want the lift kit, be sure you mention this to your ordering dealer. It used to be easy to remove a lift kit (bolted) - no more (welded).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Tonopah

I asked my dealer about the lift kit and he said that he won't let any TM leave his lot without it. Apparently, a new TM owner's first experience at Custom RV (Anaheim, CA) is scrapping the rear bumper exiting his lot, unless there is a lift kit installed...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Tuscany Bandit

That must be a new policy of Custom RV in Anaheim, Southern California as I bought a new 2720SL June of 2005 and there was no lift kit on it...and it didn't scrape the bumper on exiting his lot.
Good thing I bought when I did as the trailer would not fit in the garage with a lift kit....just my $.02 worth
Old 07-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Default Lift Kit

When we ordered our new 2006-2720 we asked about the lift kit and the dealer said he would order it,no charge! I think I saw a price for the lift kit of around $38? somewhere in the Trail Manor website or the dealers web site.
We are in the northwestern part of Illinois and purchased our TM at Danny's in Coloma,Wisconsin. I wanted the lift kit to avoid high driveways at gas stations. It probably should be standard equipment as it would be easier to have the factory to install it instead of the dealer or yourself.

Midwest Dave
Old 07-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
BLAZER

Does anyone have pictures of a lift kit in the package and installed?
After looking under there, the axle looks to be just bolted on there, wouldn't be hard to make a lift kit for it. Shoot, I've already lifted 1 jeep, 2 SUV's, and a minivan, that would be easy with some super heavy tubing and bolts along iwth some welding.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Michael

Update: My wife and I met with our local dealer today and we are now the proud parents of a 2007 2720SD!! As Bill indicated above, and at least this dealer confirmed, all of his "floor stock" is ordered with the lift kit. Since he had both a 2006 and the new 2007 2720SD model, he also showed us a few of the improvements made between the years. The nicest to us was the upgraded cabinets and the exterior door latch. The dealer had the 2720SD fully set up when we arrived. He demonstrated how to prepare the trailer for towing and then turned to us and said "Well, I hope you were watching; I want you to set it back up." I was amazed that my wife and I had it set back up in about 5 minutes and only "forgot" to set the locking pins on the dinette. THAT is what sold us. Now I need to install a brake controller and purchase a WDH. I do have a couple of questions for the forum members; The salesman indicated that his dealership will not sell or install sway control for units with a swing tongue. Something about interference with proper mounting. I was hoping to use a dual cam sway control. Has anyone in the forum installed a dual cam control on a swing tongue? And my second question is that there is a latch on the back of the hanging cabinet over the sink. The salesman didn't have a clue as to what that was for. We looked for a place that maybe it was locked down for transport, but didn't see one. Would anyone know what that latch is for? Thanks in advance. (Excited new owners!)
Old 07-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I don't have any pictures but (having had one installed in my "pre-welded in" days 2004 2720SL) it's just a piece of 2" x 2" square steel tubing placed between the frame and the axle. I (admittedly not having a garage door clearance problem) wouldn't do without it even if I had to cut the latest welded in frame/axle setup to retrofit it. Too many loud scrapes leaving 7/11's for me (take a look at the expensive to repair tubing stuff running near the "bottoming" rear end). Cheers, Dick

P.S. It still never ceases to amaze me how a totally super company such as TM fails to explain their available options to their potential buyers.. They will drop everthing to show you around the factory but they can't seem to tell them of a $22,000+ purchase what wonderful options they have (solar installations (even custom if you order them), lift kits, "you name it and we can do it", etc).

Are you listening with your morning coffee Mr. Founder? Cheers, Dick
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote