TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Bigbit

Default Electric Cord Feed Cover

The plastic cover & electric cord / plug holder that's in the rear of my Elkmont has come loose. It is held on with 3 phillips head screws and caulked - I noticed that 2 of the screws had come loose and appear stripped. The cover is moving and will fall off soon if I don't take action.

What is the best approach to repair this? I don't feel like hauling this trailer 30 miles to the dealer for what appears to be a relatively minor issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
The plastic cover & electric cord / plug holder that's in the rear of my Elkmont has come loose. It is held on with 3 phillips head screws and caulked - I noticed that 2 of the screws had come loose and appear stripped. The cover is moving and will fall off soon if I don't take action.

What is the best approach to repair this? I don't feel like hauling this trailer 30 miles to the dealer for what appears to be a relatively minor issue.
First of all, as the owner of an Elkmont 24 I have discovered that in the process of assembling these trailers, the person/s doing the job just drive in the screws with a power drill. I have had so many screws falling out because the holes become too big to accommodate the screws. Where possible I have replaced the screws with a larger one. BUT I would suggest also using a bead of “Liquid Nails adhesive”. This is a small tube purchased at your local hardware store I believe the number is LN-207, (printed on the front lower left corner). I have used this stuff to attach fiberglass wall joint tape over the large openings in the top and bottom screen in the outside refrigerator vent area and it is holding up just fine. So if you try to use a bead of this all around the flange and than the next larger size screw, you should be fine.

On both sides at the front of the Elkmont I used 3-M’s exterior double sided tape to attached those little hooks to hold the baggage door open. I did not bother with screws and that too is holding up just fine.

Hope this helps.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
brulaz

Yes, the sheet metal screws routinely fall out. Check the screws holding your propane gas line underneath the trailer. Half of mine were falling out. But I did notice that the ones that were holding had a much finer thread than those falling out. Apparently the factory just uses whatever it has around.

So I replaced my loose ones with pop-rivets. Maybe not appropriate for your problem though. Liquid nails sounds fine too me.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
AstroBruce

I don't know how TM expects sheet metal screws to hold in tinfoil. I would suggest trying Molly Bolts.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Bigbit

Thanks All for the tips. I'm going to tackle the repair this weekend, and will report on the outcome.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I (and others) have found that aluminum pop-rivets work quite well in this aluminum skin (don't use steel pop-rivets). If for some reason they need to be removed, the head of the rivet is easily removed with a drill and the rivet pushed through the inside of the hole.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Bigbit

Well, I tackled the repair today. When I removed the cover, the first thing I noticed was that all 3 screw holes had become elongated. Going to bigger screws wasn't going to provide a fix. I decided to try a different approach to the repair, since I had already purchased the compression nuts that Harveyrv had recommended in another thread. I drilled out all 3 holes just large enough to accommodate the nuts, compressed them to sit them in place, then removed the screws. I then replaced the cover, and screwed the 3 screws in to within 1/8" of tight, then silicon caulked around the edges, and finally tightened the 3 screws and cleaned up the caulking edging.

It looks good and sturdy. But boy, is that aluminum layer thin!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
boy, is that aluminum layer thin!
That's why sheetmetal screws are not a good option.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Scott O

I run the cord out under the bumper cover as was suggested by someone on this forum, and don't use the little plug holder at all. Works much better and the cord is easier to coil...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Yes, the sheet metal screws routinely fall out. Check the screws holding your propane gas line underneath the trailer. Half of mine were falling out. But I did notice that the ones that were holding had a much finer thread than those falling out. Apparently the factory just uses whatever it has around.

So I replaced my loose ones with pop-rivets. Maybe not appropriate for your problem though. Liquid nails sounds fine too me.
Usually it is the other way around: In unstable and flimsy material one uses coarse thread screws for better hold. Look at the so called "dry wall" screws. They are all coarse thread.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote