TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
wboudx

Default Tongue being repaired

I am having the tongue repaired on our 3326 TM. Is there a way I can make sure the hitch is centered?

Do you measure from each wheel to center of hitch? Do you measure from each front corners of the TM? And if so, what are the tolerances?

Thanks...

Walt and Cathy
Old 05-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
BobRederick

What is the damage that you are repairing? Its not likely that I could help in any case, however, I do have a 3326.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

A good question to ask your local alignment shop. I suspect you already have your answer but it won't hurt to check with them. You might also consider having the work done at a frame repair shop -- they will be sure to get it straight. They can also determine if you have damage elsewhere and will have the equipment to repair it if needed.

For a DIY check either before or after repairs you can park it on a level spot, use the tongue jack to level the front and back corners on one side and then measure frame corners to ground on the other side to make sure they are also level with each other. It's likely one side will sit a little higher than the other because of inside weight distribution so all four corners may not be the same. I suppose a carpenter's level check of the frame on each side will accomplish the same thing.

To make sure the frame is square, drop a plumb bob from each frame corner to the ground and mark the four spots. You can then pull a tape from corner spot to corner spot (LF to RR & RF to LR) and if the two measurements are the same the frame is square.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
wboudx

Thanks for the replies. We ordered the 3326 on May 1. The dealer called in two weeks saying the trailer came in, but the tongue was bent. He said TrailManor told him they were going to pick it up and replace the tongue. After a week, we called the dealer for an update, and they said the factory decided to ship a tongue to the dealer. They received it the morning we called and he said it would be ready this Wednesday, May 31.

I do not know anything about trailers, and I just wanted a way to verify work is done correctly. If the tongue is not centered, will it pull trailer somewhat sideways resulting in early tire wear?

Thanks….

Walt and Cathy
Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I don't think so if everything else is square -- it will not track exactly behind the TV however. Some two-wheel bicycle trailers are set up with the tongue offset so more of the trailer sticks out on the road side than the curb side thus making a curb strike less likely. I doubt a 1/2 inch more on one side than the other will cause problems --- unless you know about it and it bothers you.

I would suggest running the checks I mentioned above before accepting it however. Bending the tongue without bending the frame where the tongue is attached seems unlikely to me. I tend to be overly cautious with things like this however. You didn't ask if I would pay full price for a trailer with a damage history so I won't volunteer that.

I will say that our first trailer was a popup that had been damaged and repaired and it was always a hassle getting it up and down. We knew about the damage before buying it however and got it cheap enough so that the extra trouble was not a problem for us.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote