TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
EAKlebe

Default Holding tank 2/3rd full -- meaning of?

I have a recently purchased 1999 3023, which I have not yet used. The previous owner had filled the system with antifreeze, which I have purged. As part of the antifreeze purge, I added bleach to the fresh water tank to sanitize the system. I also hooked up to the city water connection to see if there were any leaks and to help flush out any residual antifreeze and to purge air from the lines. After disconnecting from the city water connection, I checked the status board (under the sink) which shows fresh water level of 1/3 which is probably the amount I added together with bleach, but holding tank 2/3 full. Why would the holding tank be showing 2/3 full?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
ib4classics

You probably ran water from the faucets in the trailer to purge the antifreez, that water went into your "gray"water holding tank.
Drain the gray water holding tank and see if the status board shows empty.
There may also be debris on the sensors in the gray water holding tank which could cause a false reading.
Filling the gray waer holding tank with water and bleach, let it soak, then drain may solve that problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
MisterP

An old trick for cleaning gray and black water tanks in RVs is to put in Dawn blue dish detergent and a few gallons of water prior to your next trip. Let them slosh around and then drain everything when you first arrive at your campground. It will often remove residues that can cause false tank readings.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
An old trick for cleaning gray and black water tanks in RVs is to put in Dawn blue dish detergent and a few gallons of water prior to your next trip. Let them slosh around and then drain everything when you first arrive at your campground. It will often remove residues that can cause false tank readings.
Any particular reason for the Blue?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
EAKlebe

Would someone please take a look at the attached photo and tell me if my interpretation is correct?
I interpret this as indicating that the fresh water tank is somewhere between 2/3rd and 1/3 full, the "holding tank" (gray water, I assume) is 2/3rd full, and the battery is fully charged. I don't quite understand why ALL the lights for battery status are lit.
Also: what is the "refer fan"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010302.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	4778  
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Refer fan = Refrigerator Fan. This is turned on when using DC power for the Fridge with the shells closed. The fan will keep air circulating for the fridge heating/cooling element by drawing in fresh air, and then blowing it out, through holes in the bottom of the TM.

The battery lights are lit probably because you're plugged into shore power? My interpretation of the letters are "C"harging, "G"ood, "F"air, and "L"ow.

I think you have properly interpreted the lights for the holding and fresh water tanks.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
Any particular reason for the Blue?
Blue is a better grease cutter but any will work as long as it is Dawn which works well on oils and grease.

The C on the battery meter is charged, not charging. There is no light showing the battery is charging other than this meter moving from a lower to higher status.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
The C on the battery meter is charged, not charging. There is no light showing the battery is charging other than this meter moving from a lower to higher status.
Hmmm, not sure I agree. The series of lights is basically a four-step voltmeter. It is my experience that by itself, a fully charged battery will show 3 of the 4 lights. But the charger puts out a higher voltage - that's the only way it can force current into the battery - and the fourth light indicates this higher voltage. It doesn't tell you anything about how big the charge current is, but it does say that the charger is connected.

According to the manufacturer, the trip point for the fourth light is supposed to be 12.7 volts (lowered from earlier versions). Some sources say that a freshly-charged battery can rest at 12.7 volts, especially if the surface charge has not been removed, so I suppose that the light could light without the charger being on. I have never seen it do it, though, so I guess that's the source of my skepticism.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hmmm, not sure I agree. The series of lights is basically a four-step voltmeter. It is my experience that by itself, a fully charged battery will show 3 of the 4 lights. But the charger puts out a higher voltage - that's the only way it can force current into the battery - and the fourth light indicates this higher voltage. It doesn't tell you anything about how big the charge current is, but it does say that the charger is connected.

According to the manufacturer, the trip point for the fourth light is supposed to be 12.7 volts (lowered from earlier versions). Some sources say that a freshly-charged battery can rest at 12.7 volts, especially if the surface charge has not been removed, so I suppose that the light could light without the charger being on. I have never seen it do it, though, so I guess that's the source of my skepticism.

Bill
I just put my new AGM battery in last week, went inside the unit and all 4 lights were on. I don't dispute that the 4th light "C" will be on when shore power is connected, but a charged battery can also show it. I think we are arguing semantics a bit, but my point is that unlike a battery tender which will show amber changing to green, the top battery light is either on or off and does not indicate whether a battery is charging or charged. I guess that is why I state that there is no "charging" indication on a TM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
You probably ran water from the faucets in the trailer to purge the antifreez, that water went into your "gray"water holding tank.
Drain the gray water holding tank and see if the status board shows empty.
There may also be debris on the sensors in the gray water holding tank which could cause a false reading.
Filling the gray waer holding tank with water and bleach, let it soak, then drain may solve that problem.
Did that today, and indeed the status board does now show empty.